Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

‘58 Rogers Holiday Tom Restoration

I recently acquired two vintage Rogers tom shells (13” and a 16”). The 16” has some damage on the bottom edge which will probably need to cut and the bearing edge refinished. Both of these shells are finished on the inside with the light grey paint (from what I understand this was standard on that vintage shell). My question is about the shell itself. Before I re wrap them, would you recommend conditioning the wood (these have been sitting for awhile in a garage in the Arizona heat) and if so, what would you recommend using? Do you think that would help improve the sound? Thanks in advance!

Posted on 6 years ago

Thinking if the wrap is still tight, and the interior grey paint looks good, no reconditioning is needed. Double check for shell being in round.

Posted on 6 years ago

The wrap will need to be replaced. It’s in bad shape. Since the wrap will be off, should I condition the wood? If so, what is recommended?

Posted on 6 years ago

Not sure what to recommend. But be careful you are still able to get a wrap to glue to the wood afterwards. Maybe question an antique furniture refinisher.

Posted on 6 years ago
Action Another action Something else here