Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.86430%

'58 Ludwig Project Update

> You should definitely get some of those feet.

Isn't it crazy how something as stupid as air-cushioned rubber feet can make such a huge difference in the sound of a drum. Blows my mind. I use them on everything I buy, sell or trade. Wouldn't play a floor tom that doesn't have a set of those buggers on it.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 12 years ago

Great job Mate!

They look great - love watching the transformation too. Thanks for the pics.

I'm mid transition badge snare restoration at the mo, just sent the shell for laquering after an age of trying to find someone I could trust to do it. I will update my post on it like you have.

Great job and enjoy!!

Cheers

The Beat

Posted on 12 years ago

Thanks, The Beat! I'm no master craftsman either, so I sent my kit out to a shop for the wrap job and a clean up of the bearing edges. There sure is a sense of self-pride when you're able to bring a drum or entire kit back to life, isn't there?

- EMD
Posted on 12 years ago

Still love seeing this kit. Hey Aaron, on another note, is this your drum for sale in CL?

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/msg/3033655321.html

Looks interesting.

Edit: Nevernind, just found this: http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=25858

Interesting. How does it sound?

"Failing to prepare, is preparing to fail". John Wooden

Blaemire / Jenkins-Martin drums.

http://www.jenkinsmartindrums.com/
Posted on 12 years ago

Yup...that's mine. It's been sitting, so I'm just trying to get rid of it. I got it as part of a trade last year. Sounds pretty good...not too loud or anything, but nice vintage tone. Of course with calf skins on the batter and reso sides, that makes the sound interesting...and changes all the time. If you wanna come check it out, let me know.

- EMD
Posted on 12 years ago

That's a cool 22" bass drum!! Good deal too I'm shocked no one has grabbed it yet?? Nice price on it.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 12 years ago

From ElMoonlightDrummer

Thanks, The Beat! I'm no master craftsman either, so I sent my kit out to a shop for the wrap job and a clean up of the bearing edges. There sure is a sense of self-pride when you're able to bring a drum or entire kit back to life, isn't there?

Yea I'm kinda new to this - don't have a workshop or anything yet so its all on the garage floor kinda stuff! I felt really bad about rims mounting my 70's Gretsch rack toms but it just works for me with the way I'm gigging the kit right now with my DW hardware... doing vintage kinda ruins you...

Looking for an good project in the Orlando area - my 2 kits in the UK are staying where they are!!!

Keep up the great work El

Meat.

Posted on 12 years ago

I for one would never be embarrassed to put RIMS hardware on vintage mounted toms for several reasons

1.) I think the drums sound better (including the kick)

2.) It allows me to utilize one type of hardware for any kit which is a HUGE plus. Reason enough if you ask me!

3.) It allows for a wider range of placement.

4.) It does not hurt the "vintage-ness" of the drum. Take them off for photos or for selling if you prefer.

5.) Modern hardware is generally far superior to vintage hardware anyway. (my apologies to the purists, but you would be hard pressed to argue that)

When re-wrapping a tom, I generally leave the holes for the tom mount in the shell but I do not drill the wrap. That way if I want to sell it, I just drill the wrap and install the hardware, but otherwise it appears virgin from the outside. No harm done to the drum.

tnsquint
Very proud owner of a new Blaemire Snare 6.5 x 14 made by Jerry Jenkins "Drumjinx"
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here