Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

53 Gretsch tom - reso head tacked

I bought this drum last year and was going to wrap it and put a lugged reso head on it but decided not to.

Today I finally got the reso head tacked. I couldn't find the proper flat oval two pronged tacks......I looked everywhere. I bought a bag of the Daisy Upholstery tacks (like what you see in the Gretsch badge center on the toms). I did not have to drill holes - I used the original 'tack holes' that were already there. It turned out pretty good. I custom fit a calfhide head onto a wood flesh-hoop. I also have an Evans G2 Clear.

Posted on 13 years ago

Looks like a TON of work!!

Nice job.

Peter Brown
~~
Reigning master of the run on sentence.

The Consummate Imperfectionist
http://woodmangler.blogspot.com/
Posted on 13 years ago

Beautiful job Kona and you are becoming an ace at tucking heads! Now I think you should sell the round badge floor tom, buy the Gretsch shell pack you want, and keep those gorgeous Valjes. Just my humble opinion of course :)

Posted on 13 years ago

DONE!

I've ordered the Gretsch Custom USA shellpack in Champagne Sparkle - to match the 4.5x14 125th Anniversary snare my wife bought me for our 25th Anniversary this past Dec 30. The snare will match perfectly with the 812/1414 toms and 1418 BD. I went for the Vintage faucet-style t-rods, CS inlayed BD hoops and Vintage BD Spurs (if the drum was 22 or larger I would go with the modern spurs). I asked for Round Badges to match my 125th Anniversary Snare but I was told by Gretsch that the Round Badges are saved for Anniversary drums only. That's okay too - I like the 'drop-G' badge they have now.

I sold 5 of my non-Gretsch snare drums for the down-payment on the shellpack. I have a buyer lined up for more drum stuff.....it's coming together!

And yes...I don't have to sell my Valjes. I was going to have Ray Ayotte build me a very special RAYA shellpack if I sold the Valjes. I didn't get any serious takers.....I guess my asking price was too high.

From Chappy50

Beautiful job Kona and you are becoming an ace at tucking heads! Now I think you should sell the round badge floor tom, buy the Gretsch shell pack you want, and keep those gorgeous Valjes. Just my humble opinion of course :)

Posted on 13 years ago

Glad you kept the Valjes - you wont regret it. Your price was fair and reasonable but people are used to sellers giving stuff away it seems.

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here