Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

50's Three ply Gretsch Bop

Almost done with my resto-mod of a 50's Gretsch set. It is a 12, 14 18, and all three ply and all from the 50s...though some might say it's crazy, and some might think it's ingenious, but I got an 18" three ply Gretsch bass drum. The 14" is a crazy/ingenious story too!

So I'm so eager to set it up and give it a go, but my bass drum heads came in wrong, my wife brought home an EMad, aargh. So I will have to wait, and give updated pics when I get my bass heads.

I got coated Evans G2 for the batters, and clear Evans Genera for the reso. These toms are everything that anybody has ever said about that great Gretsch sound. They sound better than I could have imagined. The 12" tom had a wonderful sound at each increment from a loose pitch all the way up to a tight pitch, not one bad tone through it's entire range. The 14" was just as sweet, I'll have to take it apart, as one of the muffler mechanisms are rattling.

Posted on 11 years ago

Super sweet, Rik! I have a late 50's RB kit I refurbished and it has a sound all its own. Musical and warm. Great drums, nice job, enjoy em!

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 11 years ago

Ok, I was too eager to get these together, so yes, I have an eMad bass drum head on this kit. I am sooo pleased with this kit. I feel like there's no way you can go wrong with this. Set up with most of my K cons (my version of the ching ring and a tiny effects thingy are made from broken K cons). Even a beginner would sound great with this set.

Posted on 11 years ago

My photo skills are horrible.

Posted on 11 years ago

Photo's are fine, Thanks!!

Bet that bass puts out a bit of a boom :-)

Very nice kit.

Creighton

Nothing special here but I like them.
Posted on 11 years ago

Nice looking kit.

Looks cool with the "cage" setup. :)

www.macdrums.com
Posted on 11 years ago

Wow! A Trifecta. :)

[LIST]

[*]50's 3-ply

[*]18" Bass Drum

[*]14" Floor Tom

[/LIST]

I've seen the Evans Inked graphics bass heads before, but not the wood grain pattern. That was a great choice and looks awesome with the natural shells. We're the Evans G2's and Genera's the 360 style? I'm thinking of replacing the Remo Ambassador's on my son's 70's Gretsch kit, because the collars are too tight.

-Tim

Posted on 11 years ago

Yes, 360's. But my shells no longer are wrapped, so the heads fit easily, so I can't speak for wrapped vintage Gretsch.

I got lucky with the matching colors with the Inked graphic head. Thanks for noticing.

Posted on 11 years ago

Great job Rik. I hope my kit comes out looking that nice.

Posted on 11 years ago

Rik great job on those!! Really nice setup! :)

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here