Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

50's Slingy RK Bass T-Rods - washers?

Did they have them?

Posted on 10 years ago

Mine does.

Posted on 10 years ago

So does mine.

Creighton

Nothing special here but I like them.
Posted on 10 years ago

Okay, 100% response rate on the 'yes' side so far. Good enough for me. I guess I'll try to find some washers. The rods and claws that were on the drum were in various states of worn-out-ness, and some were cobbled together with various 'aftermarket' washers & nuts. Hard to tell what was original.

Thanks guys.

Posted on 10 years ago

Here is one of the spare lug assemblies from my big oval brass badge 26" bass 1949-51. Real Slingy tension rod shaft is larger than modern. The washers for the bass lugs were larger yet. Hope this is of some help. If not let me know.

Creighton

2 attachments
Posted on 10 years ago

Thanks for the pic with scale Creighton.

These are indeed a goofy size. I found a few washers on some rods I had stashed away, which fit, but needed more. A trip to a(nother) large building centre, t-rod in hand ( that doesn't sound right..) yielded some #10 washers. The outside diameter a bit wider than the flange on the rod, but I figured I could get away with it. Inside diameter right size -For That Specific T-Rod- tried the washers on the rest of the rods at home. Most of the rods are just a tad bit wider at the top, so the washer wouldn't slide all the up. No matter, because the OD is too big, & touches the hoop.

Music store doesn't sell anything this esoteric.

I'll have to see if the local bolt supply house has 'em.

Unless there is an online source anyone knows about?

Posted on 10 years ago

They are no longer readily available in the needed size. I'm hoping Fastenal has something that will work in stainless steel. I need a 75 or so.

It is a major PITA but the modern stuff can be turned down to clear the rim flange. Bass TR and rods the same. Basically secure a bunch of stainless steel oversize washers to a grinder and work to size. Zero fun.

Crighton

Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here