Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

42 Strand snares for Valencia Snare or Not?

Having a bit of a "Snare" dilema.

I'm in the final stages of restoring my 1960s Pearl Valencia set.

On the snare, I cant decide whether to use normal sized snare wires or the big oversized ones I usually use on my other snares.

I like a nice, crisp "snarey" sound from the snare drum, rather than a fat crack. Almost like a symphonic snare.

But I'm told that the oversize snares on the Valencia tend to choke the drum.

Your thoughts? All comments are most welcome!

Posted on 13 years ago

Well, why dont you get a set of both and see which ones you prefer. Drumfactorydirect sells the 42 strand for 12.99 and the 20 strand for less than 5 bucks! For that little money, why not have an extra set of new wires kicking around???

By the way, I use the 20 strand wires. I like 'em. Also, those are probably very close to what was on the drum originally.

Actually, the snare beds on your drum might not be wide enough for the 42 strand. I would ask O-bop about that.

Posted on 13 years ago

I don't think the 42 strand wires choke the drum. They can be just a little overkill though and have more of a tendency to pick up buzz hitting your hanging tom. Which I like in some cases. Good point about the snare beds cn679. You can also try a 30 strand.

Posted on 13 years ago

Yes, agreed, that was a great point about the snare beds. Altho, its easy to modify the wire snares string assembly to fit.

I think I will try those 42's from drum factory. great suggestion, thanks.

Posted on 13 years ago

Retro, sure, try out the 42 strand from drumfactory, but as long as you're putting in the order, get a set of the 20 strand wires as well just in case you dont like the 42 strand for some reason. And if the 42s work, then you have a spare set for an emergency or to give to someone with messed up wires.

Just to give you yet another option, apparently they make a 25 strand as well...

Posted on 13 years ago

On the snare, I cant decide whether to use normal sized snare wires or the big oversized ones I usually use on my other snares.

Wouldn't you be able to just try out the 42s from one of your other snares?

:Santa:

Kevin
Posted on 13 years ago

Well, yes and no. None of my 3 other snares is the exact same size as the Valencia. But I think its gonna be fine. I always liked the sound with bigger snares, some drummers dont. Buddy Rich had special snares made that were larger than what was available.

What I really need now are VOX drum badges and they are like...non existant~!

Posted on 13 years ago

From Retrosonic

Well, yes and no. None of my 3 other snares is the exact same size as the Valencia. But I think its gonna be fine. I always liked the sound with bigger snares, some drummers dont. Buddy Rich had special snares made that were larger than what was available. What I really need now are VOX drum badges and they are like...non existant~!

I sure it's just me , but I don't understand.

Looking forward to pics... this has been a labor of love for you !!

:Santa:

Kevin
Posted on 13 years ago

It sure has Kevin.

much, Much, MUCH more work than I ever thought at the start of this project. But, altho they are going slowly, things are going really well, I have decided to address every last detail no matter how long it takes.

The set is going to look spectacular when I'm finished, but the set also has to stand up to playing the few clubs I play each month. Thats why the spurs are a bit of an issue right now, I'm experimenting with different combinations of things. I hope to retain the existing spur mounts and use them with new, longer spurs. But those spur wing screws are SO small and puny and the holes in the mounts for the spur itself are really thin. Hard to keep all that and have a strong spur system. So I dont know yet. I *may* have to go with the cannon replacements, BUT they no longer have the "spike" spur which is what I wanted.

Posted on 13 years ago

When I play, I usually dont even bother with the BD spurs. I use one of those Gibraltar bass drum anchors. That along with my bass pedal usually keeps the BD up straight and keeps it from slipping.

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here