Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

$4 Ludwig Snare

I'm fortunate enough to have a friend who picked me up an old Ludwig Snare at a yard sale for $4. Only thing is, I know nothing about it other than that it is most likely a late 70's era drum, I can't even tell what the shell material is! ANY information would be great!

Here's the spec's:

Dimensions: 4.5" X 14"

Shell Material/Finish: Most likely aluminum, but I'm not sure...it looks/feels plastic.

Badge: (1979) Blue/Olive. Rounded Corners.

Hardwear: 8 lug, "Classic" style. Standard P85 Black Center Strainer. Triple flange hoops. Internal Muffle.

Snare: 20 strand, clear plastic ends.

Heads: Ludwig WeatherMaster Medium on Batter and WeatherMaster on Snare.

Defects: Other than needing a good cleaning, there are no visible defects, the heads are a little worn and two of the snare strands are bent. VERY minor scratches on the shell and badge.

Other: This Snare came in a Ludwig Case (go figure) of the same era. Flat on bottom, rounded on top; dark grey. There is a stand compartment which holds a Ludwig stand, presumedly same era.

Posted on 17 years ago

UPDATE:

I forgot to mention, I'm guessing that this snare was used for marching, due to the sound it gives and the sticks that came with it...just another presumption though.

Posted on 17 years ago

Sounds like an Acrolite. Ludalloy shell.

Posted on 17 years ago

Sounds like a diamond in the roughExcited

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 17 years ago

Don't you just love when that happens - congrats.

Closest I ever got to a scoop like that was a '65 Supraphonic in asbolute mint condition for around 60USD at a Copenhagen antique market.

For four bucks, how bad can it be?

Cheers,

David

Posted on 17 years ago

So, the general concensus is Acrolite?

Posted on 17 years ago

Sure sounds like an Acrolite to me. Good score!!!

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 17 years ago

It's actually 5" X 14" (Ludwig didn't make any drum 4-1/2" deep) and from the description it sure sounds like an Acrolite. You did very well! Congrats! Acros are one of the best sounding snare drums in the world, in my opinion. You're lucky to have so many original aspects intact...the snare wires, the heads, etc.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 17 years ago

[QUOTE=O-Lugs]It's actually 5" X 14"QUOTE]

I meant to change that...oops.

Thanks for the info. everyone! Now tell me about my Dixie (in Non-US section)

Posted on 17 years ago

I play a acrolite with my kit fulltime. its a great studio drum too having such a wide range of usable tuning

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here