Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.45929%

3-ply shell slingerland

Hi

I am asking about slingerland 3-ply shells with the re-rings. Would a 1969-70 shell sound the same as say as 1975? I'm asking because if I buy seperate drums and make a set, I would like them to fit with each other.

Thanks

Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]I would say yes, they would sound the same.

Slingy switched their inner/outer plys over time between mahogany and maple...but, the general "spec" of the drum, the thickness of teh shell, the bearing edge, etc...remained pretty consistent.

....the older ones, the black/gold badge Chicagos and earlier...their edges were a bit different, not quite the same profiles....but once you get into like '63 up to mid-70's, if it is a re-ring shell, IMHO they match sonically pretty well.....I do it all the time, make a kit up from orphans, and yes, always match the shell spec as close as you can.

I don't much care if one of the badges is a gold/black Niles while the other two are silver/black...and thus far, none of my buyers have cared, either....[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here