Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.45720%

3 ply or 1 ply? How do you tell??

Hello all..I'm new to this Forum here, and I have a few questions about a snare drum I recently acquired...and any help or info will be greatly appreciated, so I thank you all in advance.

I have a great 1965 Red Sparkle (glitter?) Slingerland Artist snare drum and wondered how you check to see if the shell is indeed a 3 ply or a 1 ply version? Interior is maple colored, has re-rings, and a 'P' stamped inside along with the date of Jan 65. It is an 8 lugger with the Zoomy throw.

If I am looking at the drum correctly, the re-ring is the inside ply and the outer ones are the shell itself?

Also any ideas on good snare wires for this drum?

Anyone know what year Neil Peart's Slingy snare was from? It was Copper colored to begin with, so I guess it's a '72-76 model..was that a 3 or 1 ply?

Any difference really in sound between the 2 versions?

Thanks all!

Neil.

Posted on 16 years ago

Welcome! the good thing is all of your questions are lurking in the main web site. So to help you and other people that are searching the same things...

Here is the Slingerland section by DrCJW which has a shell timeline and pictures of the different shells. Click on articles at the top..

Slingerland section

I have a section that shows different shells and Slingerland hardware here. This shows mainly 3 ply shells.

This still may not help, so a photo always helps us..

Also, the Dr answered the Neil Peart question in his forum section because there are people on the hunt for Neils Snare drum. Use the search feature.

I hope that covers it, if not then let us know

David

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here