Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.65344%

3-D printing for knobs?

I am totally ignorant about 3-D printing.

Has anyone used this process for restoring vintage knobs or fittings? I'm wanting to replace some vintage Trixon parts.

Thanks!

Posted on 3 years ago

I looked into this a few years ago. The largest problem is with finding filaments, the materials used to build out the printed items, with enough tensile strength to handle the stress lug casings normally handle. There are some which are meshed with metal powders, but in 2016, this wasn't economical with consumer filaments.

As more aviation companies use 3d printing, I expect drums to start having stronger printed parts in the next few years.

Posted on 3 years ago

Hello,

Not my personal experience, but:

For a Star KingBeat snare drum there exists a file, making it able to print an exact replica of an original plastic part (which sometimes is broken over the decades).

Attached please find a photo:

White part: Genuine vs. black part: Replica.

You would first need someone who is able to make a transfer of your model into an exact three dimensional drawing which will be copied into a data file. That data file can be read by 3D printers.

You also have to discuss which plastic powder/ granules will be suitable for it. There are different flexible characteristics as well as multi colours available.

Cheers,

Ralf

Vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de
Posted on 3 years ago

There is a 3d printing technology that uses powdered metal and a laser to perform what is called Direct Metal Laser Sintering. There are no consumer grade 3d printer that do this but there are shops that will make the parts for you. Just look up Powdered Metal 3D Printing.

They most will have a minimum number of parts required but since there is no tooling, just making a 3D model in a computer, the up front cost is much lower than getting the parts cast or forged.

The finish of the metal is pretty rough so unless you are going for a rustic look, there would be a lot of hand finishing required before they could be plated.

Posted on 3 years ago
Action Another action Something else here