Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

2804 COB Dynasonic Shell

Hey everyone.

I have a #2804 early COB dyna shell. It came to me partially assembled. Has the top original tall hoop, and it came with 8 B+B lugs. Upon trying to remove the lugs for cleaning, 4 of them fell of completely...tabs cracked.

4 lugs remain uncracked and in fine condition. I have the tabless lugs and the inserts/mounting hardware. The butt is present, but sadly no strainer, rail assembly, or bottom hoop.

The thing I am wondering about is the holes in the shell. There are no extra holes, but the TOP hole of every single lug and the strainer are all slightly larger than the bottom holes. They aren't made LONGER (like someone tried to fit it with beavertails or something) they are just larger. Center to center they are still 1+5/8. Only the TOP ones though.

The bottom holes seem to be smaller than most Rogers drums. I have a Silver Sparkle Tower snare that was missing a strainer. I put a Gibralter Dunnett strainer on that drum no problem...didn't have to bore out the holes or drill or anything (I wouldn't have done such a thing). I tried to put the same strainer on this shell and the smaller of the holes are too small to fit the bolts through.

CONFUSED!!!

I know this is one of the earliest dyna shells...one of only 2000 B+B Dynas. I am wondering if anyone on here is interested in buying it to restore and what it might be worth, but I am also wondering if anyone can give me any info on what the heck is up with the holes? They don't look like non-factory. Just strange stuff.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Adam

Posted on 14 years ago

Hi Adam,

I have one and out of curiosity I just checked and you're right the top holes are larger so no one tampered with yours-that's definitely how it was made. Why this was done I have no idea! Maybe for ease of production......but I'm guessing at that !!

cheers

V182

Posted on 14 years ago

If yours is a 7-line, I'm interested.....PM me with a price.

BBK

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 14 years ago

Here are some pics of the shell. I forgot to mention that the muffler is there as well. I know this is kind of a rare shell but I don't know how much people are willing to pay for this stuff. 7 Line serial 2804 (like I said). To me it seems like something I really should restore since it is such a rare drum...but at the same time...the parts for these early Dynas are just so dang expensive and I am more of a "drums I can play without worrying about destroying their value" kind of dude. I feel like maybe I would be better off letting someone else who has access to the parts get it up and running.

Can people give me an idea of what this might be worth? I see the 70's ones going for about $100 for a shell on feebay so I assume this one would be at least double that. Is that far off?

Check out the pics and let me know what you think. It is in really nice shape overall.

4 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

That is an important Dynasonic. It was one of the VERY LAST B&B drums manufactured. I have Dynasonic 2811, and it is a beavertail drum. Yours dates to mid 1963 or so, as that was the introduction of the Beavertail lug. It is something collectors would have an interest with.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 14 years ago

WOW. Thanks for the info Ploughman!

That is a very interesting fact....7 drums later they were on to beavertails. Man. Thats crazy. Are there any known cases in between our two drums to narrow it down further?

Anyone have some info or contacts where the actual original parts might be available without paying COMPLETELY out the butt? I don't want to go the JP Lug route. They are obviously killer lugs, but that would be over 200 on lugs and not even original. I want original Rogers lugs...it's not like I plan on taking the thing out and touring with it at high tension or anything. It sucks because I have a Wine Red Ripple Spotlight snare sitting here with 6 mint condition B+Bs sitting on it...100% original including heads...never taken apart or anything. Can't bring my self to take em off of there though.

I know Bobby @ the drum farm probably has some stuff...and I know I would need the black background strainer, but the whole snare mechanism thing is beyond me as far as seeing the differences. Ploughman can you help directing me towards where I might find the correct guard and which style bottom hoop I need?

Incase anyone cares to help, here is a complete list of what is needed to make the drum original:

6 B+B Casings

2 Sets of Casings and Springs

12 Tension Rods

Bottom Hoop

Strainer

Snare Mechanism/Guard

Snare Cord (if we really wanna get technical)

I have decided to definitely restore the drum and not sell it off. Thanks so much for the info Ploughman, and thanks in advance for any other help in my search!

Adam

Posted on 14 years ago

Sorry Just woke up here:

6 B+B Casings

2 Sets of INSERTS and Springs

12 Tension Rods

Bottom Hoop

Strainer

Snare Mechanism/Guard

Snare Cord (if we really wanna get technical)

Posted on 14 years ago

I have the earliest serial beavertail Dynasonic I know of, and you have the heighest B&B I have seen.

I think your drum would be worth spending the 200 bucks it would cost for the Jim Petty B&B cast replacement lugs. Do obtain good B&B originals for the drum, use the repro lugs to play the drum. It is a fantastic snare.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 14 years ago

$300.00 now Ploughman... Jim increased the price a little while ago, you know, material costs, etc. Still... it is the way to go!

Tommyp

Posted on 14 years ago

Adam, sounds like a really cool drum. The JP lugs are great! The only problem with finding original B+Bs is that they will crack at some point unless you plan to keep the tension at low tuning and sit on the drum for investment purposes. Also, 10 B+Blugs will not be cheap.

I almost think that Rogers collectors would be as interested in your Dyna if it were fitted with JPs (if you choose to sell it one day). I am a Rogers freak and still the old B+B lugs, although cosmetically pleasing, make me think of a lack of tuning ability and cool my excitement. I have an old B+B dyna that I absolutely love the sound of but would love it even more if it had JPs or was a Beavertail drum.... One man's opinion.

Isaac

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here