Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

26" Bass

I've got a 26x14 bass with calfskin heads. I want to use it for rock applications. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Posted on 17 years ago

tune the heads. connect a pedal to it. push the pedal with your foot when appropriate.

Posted on 17 years ago

Yes, I would for sure go with synthetic heads and not use the calfskin for

that purpose.

Step one in the above list will need to be a regular occurrence. Also if you are a heavy player with the foot, it will happen even more.

The tom will probably have to go on a stand to keep it lower.

David

Posted on 17 years ago

If you are looking for the "Bonham sound", you might want to check out the dvd, "Trust your Ears" by Jeff Ocheltree. Jeff Ocheltree was a drum tech for John Bonham, Billy Cobham, and many others. Jeff discusses Mr. Bonham's maple and Vistalite drumsets, both had 26in bass drums. I play a 26in bass drum, it takes some getting use to, if you have never played one before. I like a 2 ply coated head for a maple, clear powerstroke for a Vistalite. John Bonham only used felt strips as a dampening device, it might take sometime to get used to that sound. You might want to add a small pillow or Evans eq pillow for added dampening. 26in bass drums always sound better out front, than, when you play them, so, you might want to record yourself playing the drum, so, you can get an idea of how the drum really sounds. When a soundman mics up a 26in, man, it thumps, and the crowd loves it! Good luck.

Rogers early Fullerton Blue Strata 22,13,16 w/brass Dynasonic
My first kit, 1983 Ludwig Rocker? (it has the classic lugs and 4ply maple shell) 22,12,13,16 ..now in black oyster pearl. I still have it
Stop Sign USA Gretsch (80's), black nitron jasper shell 22,12,13,16
1995 Fibes Austin,Texas Badge (original owner) 22,10,12,16,18 in natural wood
USA 2007 Rosewood Gretsch 22,13,16 w/12inch 70's Rosewood Gretsch tom
Posted on 17 years ago

Drummist: Yeah, I've been playing drums for 15 years, so I'm not new to the basics.

Everyone else: I just need to know what I can expect from synthetic heads. Everyone's taste is different, obviously, but I want to know what works for other people. Brands, clear vs. coated, ported or not, etc. Thank you for your help and insights. Anyone know where I can access some applicable sound files?

Thanks.

ps--saw a 30" Zildjian ride on ebay. Orchestral use? Big band?

Posted on 17 years ago

sorry, i have a strange sense of humor.

if you've been playing calfskin heads for 15 years you probably know how to tune them. but, as David said, when you're hitting them harder as in rock applications they will go out of tune more.

as far as synthetic, most people don't use coated on kicks since really the coating's there so the head can be played with brushes and adds minimal weight/sonic difference as far as a kick pedal is concerned.

to get the sound i like in a kick (open, boomy), i use an aquarian super kick I with no muffling. i really dislike all the evans kick heads i've tried and i've tried five or six. i have a personal bias against remo as their quality control is seriously lacking.

Posted on 17 years ago

I never played natural heads. For a a bass drum that big, I would prefer some muffling, but not too much because if you are playing a 26, you are making a statement with that amount of bottom and you want it controlled but not dead.

So, if you are open to experimentation here is what I do and really enjoy. Use an uncut front head with a a Remo Muffles control ring. It is a foam ring held against the head from the inside with a plastic tray that sits on your bearing edge. Now with a the front head I find I get a little too much bounce back on the batter side because the air is trapped in the drum. I have to think about this when I play and I don't want to. So I have found that Evans makes a single or double ply head with a tone ring AND they poke little teeny holes through the head all around the circumference. This lets the air out. And the beat to head action is unchanged versus using a front head with a hole in it. This combination is full and warm, but not long. I think you'll really enjoy this. Let me know if you get around to trying it.

Regarding synthetic heads on bass drums. I think they last forever.

Gary

Dix Hills, NY

Gary

Dix Hills, NY

http://s231.photobucket.com/albums/ee19/sabshga/

http://www.myspace.com/garysabshon

Posted on 17 years ago

I never played natural heads. For a a bass drum that big, I would prefer some muffling, but not too much because if you are playing a 26, you are making a statement with that amount of bottom and you want it controlled but not dead.

So, if you are open to experimentation here is what I do and really enjoy. Use an uncut front head with a a Remo Muffles control ring. It is a foam ring held against the head from the inside with a plastic tray that sits on your bearing edge. Now with a the front head I find I get a little too much bounce back on the batter side because the air is trapped in the drum. I have to think about this when I play and I don't want to. So I have found that Evans makes a single or double ply head with a tone ring AND they poke little teeny holes through the head all around the circumference. This lets the air out. And the beat to head action is unchanged versus using a front head with a hole in it. This combination is full and warm, but not long. I think you'll really enjoy this. Let me know if you get around to trying it.

Regarding synthetic heads on bass drums. I think they last forever.

Gary

Dix Hills, NY

Gary

Dix Hills, NY

http://s231.photobucket.com/albums/ee19/sabshga/

http://www.myspace.com/garysabshon

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here