Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

20's Super Ludwig info?

Hello All,

I need some help valuing an old Super Ludwig snare. A friend of mine picked it up at a garage sale on the weekend. He lives a fair distance from me so I only have a description of the drum. It is a nickel plated brass shell with 10 tube lugs, it has double fanged hoops with clips for the tension rods. The bottom hoop has "Super Ludwig" engraved into it. The shell has no engraving. From what I can gather the original throw off has been removed and a Slingerland Rapid strainer and butt plate have been installed (by a complete moron!) exposing the original holes. He descibed the plating as 9/10, he is a guitar collector so I trust his judgment.

What I need to know is are the old super-sensitive assemblies available? If so how much would I pay for one. Also he wants to sell the drum to me as is and I have no idea what to offer him. I want to give him a fair price. He paid $50 Au ($40 US) for it.

Thanks, Dean Muller.

Posted on 17 years ago

These drums in excellent original shape will usually sell between $600 and $900. (possibly more, but the market has gone down a bit)

The strainer will be almost impossible to find, and if you do it will not be cheap.

From a players standpoint these drums were meant to sound a certain way, so the hoop clips will not take a great deal of tension and were never intended to be cranked up.

I have had two in my collection and sold one. The other remains in unrestored condition, but all original. It belonged to a local drummer that passed away a few years back and it was his last snare drum.

David

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here