Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.65344%

20's Ludwig and Ludwig i.d. inquiry

I'm a horn player who knows nothing about drums.

I do, however, have a Ludwig and Ludwig that is identical in finish, badge and hardware - as far as I can tell from the pic- to the drum in the photo on this site here:

http://www.vintagesnaredrums.com/ludwig_snare_page.html

It is the 5th drum down.

Unfortunately for me, it is the only one with absolutely no info listed. I assume from what I've learned on this site today that from the badge it is early 20's. Mine is either 4 x 14 or 4.5 x 14.

How would I accurately describe this instrument's finish (it's pearl-something-or-other that has a lot of bluish to it)? Does this snare have a specific model name....how would I describe it accurately to a potential buyer?

Is it in any particular demand in the marketplace? (mine is missing the strainer but is otherwise in great shape, w/Evans heads).

We get these sorts of inquiries all the time on sax and trumpet sites, and we're pretty helpful to the posters, so I'm hoping the same might be true here.

thanks.

Posted on 18 years ago

Yes, you have a Ludwig snare in Pea**** Pearl and it is a rare collectable drum. The strainer is a small hindrance and will affect the price, but not that much since the finish is what makes the drum.

Nail down the exact height of the drum and you need to measure the inside shell height and not from hoop to hoop so we can get you more info and better determine what the drum is.

Once we see what you have it will probably sell over $1500 depending on condition and the type of strainer.

Without pictures though this is purely speculation.

Here is one from a fellow forum member that is an expert on these drums.

Click Here

and here is one from a collector friend on this web site that probably is a different color then yours, but without a picture I can't tell for sure.

[IMG]http://www.vintagesnaredrums.com/images/other_stuff/rich_k/newera1_th.jpg[/IMG]

David

Webmaster

Posted on 18 years ago

Mike Curotto just had a Ludwig & Ludwig peac ock pearl drum like that listed on Ebay! I love that finish. beautiful drum! I'll give you $200.00 for it right now! ;)

Woops! nevermind! just saw the link! duh! ;)

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 18 years ago

Well, I thank you very much, Webmaster, for your information.

I suppose I'll have to take off the darn head to measure, right? I'll have to buy a drum key to do that, I assume.

Before, I measured from outermost edge of each hoop, then subtracted 1.5" since the outer-edge-to-head distance was about .75" on each side. Roughly. I did it quickly, not realizing it was important.

It's certainly either 4 or 4.5", I'd say.

I should note that the inside of the shell is white. Does this matter? It appears original, but again, I'm ignorant of these things and I'm looking thru the clear bottom head.

It does have 10 lugs. No extra holes. Very clean seam on the pea**** pearl. Completely round shell. No damage that I can see, tho I'll now be looking more closely.

I'll get pix done and post them. However, on some sites one needs the pix to reside on another site to which a link is posted.

Here, it seems a .jpg can be posted right here as an attachment? Am I correct that I can do this? I'm not Mr. Computer, which is why I must ask.

I again thank you for the information provided.....my landlord may well do the same, eventually.

Posted on 18 years ago

You can also send me a pic and I will add it to your forum post.

David

Webmaster

Posted on 18 years ago

I've just sent some pics to the webmaster to be added hereto as appropriate.

I removed the hoops and measured with a ruler: it is 5 x 14.

My previous measurement with the hoops on, using a cloth tape measure, was inaccurate.

Note that it's missing the strainer, and also the part that the strainer attaches to on the throw-off.

All the washers are present. No extra holes.

I wholeheartedly welcome any further info any informed poster may care to make, esp as to value and nomenclature.

Thank you.

[IMG]http://www.vintagesnaredrums.com/images/forum_images/peacock_pearl1_th.jpg[/IMG]

Click for larger image.

(picture added per member request)

[IMG]http://www.vintagesnaredrums.com/images/forum_images/peacock_pearl2_th.jpg[/IMG]

Click for larger image.

[IMG]http://www.vintagesnaredrums.com/images/forum_images/peacock_pearl3_th.jpg[/IMG]

Click for larger image.

Posted on 18 years ago

Hi,

Your Peacock Pearl is probably early 1930's (clear interiors were in the 1920's)...an L&L Professional (timepiece) strainer will probly run you about 150.00 or more although it looks like you got one already...nice drum.

Mike CuroCool tto

Posted on 18 years ago

Thank you very much for your info, Mike.

Does that mean that the piece that fits onto the throw-off (the one that moves up and down when the throw-off lever is moved) is part of the strainer?

So if I were to purchase the correct strainer this missing part would be included with it?

I looked at the "parts store" section on this site and didn't see one.

If a suggestion could be made as to a supplier, that would be appreciated......or would it simply make for a quicker sale to just put the price nicely lower than market, and then lower it further - lowered

substantially more than the cost would be for the buyer to purchase this part him/herself??

Any buyer interested in something like this would likely know the source for such replacement parts anyway.

Opinions would be greatly welcome.

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here