Hi,

Here’s another classic Johnny Craviotto creation with an interesting back story. Approximately 10 years ago I purchased this drum from a good friend at the Chicago Vintage Drum Show. My friend was liquidating his snare drum collection so we were able to strike up a deal. Once again thanks to my good friend and fellow collector Steve Maxwell (Maxwell Drums/President, Craviotto Drum Co.) for the fact checking and verification info.

2003 CRAVIOTTO 6.5 x 13 TIMELESS TIMBER BIRCH CUSTOM SNARE DRUM (#1 of 2)

Here is what Steve had to say re this drum:

“Hi Mike!

Hope all is well with you. All good here.

Yes, on those 6.5x13 Timeless, Johnny was reluctant to do these because the 600 year old wood was so dense from being submerged for about 100 years that he was afraid he’d be unable to bend a 13. He agreed to try it for me since I had two customers who wanted one. (One for a client of mine overseas and one for our friend Mike Gilbert). After awhile Johnny called and said he had both drums, but that he wouldn’t make any more since he broke 19 boards trying to get those two shells. Totally understandable here, because those boards could have been used to make 14s with no trouble, but were totally wasted by trying to do the 13s. At the time, Johnny’s Timeless Timber drums were about $2000-$2500 (Those were the good old days! Long gone!). So, by breaking 19 boards he could have created 19 of the 14” snares that would have sold for a total of $38,000-$47,500. So, you could argue that those two 6.5x13s should have sold for $19k-$24k each to make up for the lost revenue!! So, those two drums were the true “deal of the century”.

Steve”

Johnny was kind enough to furnish a new plaque with my name on it. Same drum, just a new owner. This drum sounds great and is used a lot in my drum studio.

Enjoy!

Mike Curotto