Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

2 very unique snare drums

Hello Forum,

First time here.

My Dad was a professional drummer for many years (as was I).

He was with Benny Goodman when he was 19 years old. He went on to tour and record with Bob Crosby, Stan Kenton and many others.

He settled in L.A. about 1949 and began working in the studios. He was under contract at Universal - when they had such things. He worked in L.A. until he retired from music about 1973.

I have had 2 of his snare drums since 1973 - they have been stored. I know these drums are quite unique and possibly quite valuable. One of them is a Leedy & Ludwig Piccolo snare, 4 x 13. The other looks like a Ludwig Super Sensitive, although there isn't any Ludwig marking on it. Both of them still have the calf heads that he played.

My Dad used these drums on nearly every film Universal produced from 1950 to 1972, as well as films and television shows at MGM and Fox. In fact, the Super Sensitive was played by him on the film "Spartacus", including a very exposed solo section in the Overture of the film. I believe he also used it on "How The West Was Won".

I'm wondering how I would go aboout getting a realistic appraisal of these drums?

He also has (in my possession) a Pre-Communist Chinese hand-hammered gong, which like the snare drums, can be heard on probably hundreds of films.

Any ideas for appraisal and selling would be greatly appreciated.

Ken

Posted on 17 years ago

Sounds incredible! The best way to get detailed, accurate info, including potential value, is to post some good pictures of the drums from different angles, including the interiors if possible. Also, if you have any pictures of your dad with the actual drums, this would really add credibility to the provenance, and could further affect the value.

http://www.classicvintagedrums.com
Posted on 17 years ago

FANTASTIC!!! Yes, by all means...post some pictures of them. Someone will be along to appraise them. You might also consider contacting an auction house such as Sotheby's or Christie's for items with such rich provenance. As long as you can provide documentation (such as letters, photos, etc.) that can substantiate the history of these items, they might take on a whole other value outside the world opf collectible drums.

BTW...I loved Spartacus! It's one of my favorite movies of all time and the music is some of the best! Thanks for joining us and sharing your treasures! I can't wait to see pictures!Burger Kin

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 17 years ago

Hi,

Thanks for your comments. I agree, photos of my Dad with the drums would be very helpful, That might be a challenge. Fortunately he is still living so I'll ask if he might have any.

I was not able to attach any photos. Try again later.

Thanks again.

Posted on 17 years ago

Who's your dad???

Posted on 17 years ago

Hi,

My Dad is Ralph Collier. He does come up on a quick Google search - referencing some recordings with Benny Goodman and Stan Kenton.

A good friend of his, Frank Marocco, has put together a list of his (Frank's) film credits. It might be safe to say that my Dad worked on the same films as Frank - anything prior to 1973. It's quite a list.

Also I know my Dad played for Alex North on Cleopatra, as well as Alfred Newman on the How The West Was Won, etc., etc. He has a distinguished history, to be sure.

I will take other photos today. I think the real value in the drums is 'where they have been', so to speak and not how they look.

Ken

Posted on 17 years ago

Ken,

VERY cool! I agree...the "value" of them is priceless in one regard. In the strictly collectible DRUM regard, the condition will have a lot to do with their value...but, I have seen many an old drum in horrible shape brought "back to life" with a little patience and elbow grease!

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 17 years ago

Hello Forum,

I appreciate all of your comments. My Dad is currently at work writing down what he can remember regarding who, when, what and where for the drums. At 88 years old, I'll have to wait and see what he CAN remember.

Anyway, I've attached some photos of the 2 drums taken today. (No, I haven't! The file size is still too large. I'll try to shrink them.) I think the Piccolo drum is the real "find". I'm trying to ascertain how many of them were built between '51 & '55. It is 3 x 13 with (faded) white pearl. The other drum (all metal) is the standard 5 x 14.

Thanks again.

Posted on 17 years ago

Hello again Forum,

I was able to locate one of Alex North's sons and he has been gracious enough to offer to search through photos he has - hoping to find some of a percussion section to substantiate my Dad's inclusion on Spartacus and/or Cleopatra!

Several days ago I wrote to Rob Cook who has a book about the history of the Leedy company. I asked if there is a way to find out how many Leedy & Ludwig piccolo snare drums were made (3x13). I haven't heard anything from him yet.

I will attempt to attach some photos again. With luck, I was able to get the file size down small enough.

"Talk" to y'all later.

Ken

Posted on 17 years ago

Those are very, very nice drums.. just out of curiousity why

are you going to sell them? If I had my dad's old drums (and

especially if they had so much history) I would keep them...

Harrison
Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here