Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.46555%

1997 Ludwig Buddy Rich WMP Drum Set

I guess we ALL like lookin' at drum pics, right?! LOL! Did a gig with the "Sinatra Show" at the Convention Center last night and was able to grab a few pics after sound check. Here are the particulars:

Before I begin though... I have been playing my Rogers BR Celebrity set for years now.. ( and I love those too! ) .. but this set came along that belonged to a Ludwig endorser, and they were offered to me when he went over to DW. I was most certainly NOT looking for another set of drums.. ( I have too many now! ) .. but these were built for him/custom ordered, and were literally in MINT condition. I figured it was a positive omen as he ordered this set in BR sizes/WMP, but with a 14X14 and a 16X16 in place of twin 16X16's, which is how I have all my BR sets configured if I'm actively gigging on them... so I bought 'em. Price was QUITE RIGHT too!, and I figured I'd flip 'em as I already have the 1948 WFL Buddy Rich Super Classic's... except ... I like them! They play/sound fabulous. SIGH. Another keeper! Anyway...

All clear maple interiors, 6 ply, no rings:

14X24

9X13

14X14

16X16

51/2X14 wood snare ( gorgeous! )

I outfitted this set with all Blue/Olive 70's era hardware as it only came with a tom mount and 2 "L" arms, neither of which I used due to height/set up considerations. Both "L" arms on this set as shown in the pics are "custom" re-worked Ludwig's done in my shop. The rack tom mount is also my own "customized" Ludwig mount using a 70's double tom mount as the base. The other Hardware is all Hercules... excellent stuff I might add, albeit a "tad" heavier to cart around than I am used to... but worth it in this case for the FULL Ludwig BR experience! The sound crew this night were absolutely giddy over this set... always a PLUS if one wants a nice drum mix! Hopefully you will enjoy!

Tommyp

1 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

Hmmm, 97 is vintage?? Dang, that makes me an antique!!

That's a beauty of a kit, that seems like an awful small tom are for that tom. Are those Ludwigs the Maple/Poplar 4-ply or the 6 ply maple?

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 14 years ago

Gorgeous kit Tommy! What heads are you running on them.

"Failing to prepare, is preparing to fail". John Wooden

Blaemire / Jenkins-Martin drums.

http://www.jenkinsmartindrums.com/
Posted on 14 years ago

Top notch as always from you , Tommyp ........ !!

Does this mean you will be letting go of the Celebrity.... ?

Never mind,.... I thought not !!

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago

Schwing!!!Jumping2Clapping Happy2D' Drummer

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

A few replies, and in the order of the comments:

BBK!... Yeah, I took a bit of liberty with the "vintage" aspect of these drums what with their being only '97's... but I figured the real appeal would be the BR configuration plus the fact that they were an endorsers personal drums which he special ordered as a Buddy set.. ( truly a guy I can relate to! LOL! ) I also know that you have a penchant for squeezing one's man berries, which I always find amusing! I'm assuming that you are referring to the 1st floor tom regarding it being "small"... indeed ... it is a 14x14, but that is exactly how I play all mine too! ( I leave the 2nd 16X16 home ) I like the "tonal spread" of 13.. 14.. 16... rather then two 16X16's with one de-tuned. I will attach a floor tom side view as it shows the two floor toms to excellent advantage. The shells are 6 ply maple, no rings.

Mendozart!... GLAD you like! The heads on the drums were Ludwig "Rockers" coated with clears on the resonant side. I kept the clears, but changed out the "Rocker" batters to all Aquarian Satin Finish Coated. I have literally all my drums set up with the Aquarian Satin Finish batters. They work great for the styles/gigs I play, plus they seem to work with all the drums I have put them on.

Kevins!... THANKS for the kind words!, and no... not parting with the Rogers BR Celebrity's yet... I do have the 1966 Rogers Buddy Rich Headliner available though! I know you're looking for the Celebrity sizes... and that I can understand!

Tommyp

1 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

Hey, TommyP!

Flat out gorgeous kit but why doesn't that surprise me (lol)?

I noticed that you mentioned that you installed Aquarian Satin Finish batter side heads. Do they look like the one in the pics I attached? I got some of these recently when I purchased some Camco shells locally. I was trying to determine how old they might be.

BTW.........I finally got to make use of those BR Slingerland cymbal stands you were kind enough to sell me some time ago. They looked and functioned great with my Slingy kit. THANKS AGAIN!

2 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

OldSchool!...

THANKS!... and glad you liked! Certainly not quite "vintage" at '97's, but the vintage VIBE is big time in place. Regarding the Aquarian Satin Finish batters:

I've been playing those heads for quite some time now.. ( 10 years at the least ) .. and the logo on the heads you have are THREE logos ago. I can't say for absolute sure, but I'd bet those heads are probably 10 years old anyway... maybe slightly less, but not by much. The logo most common is the rectangular one with Aquarian at the top of the square... then ... the last batch that I purchased had the third different logo that I have seen, simply stating Aquarian Texture Coated at the top, with Z-100 Coating at the bottom. That's the most recent. I suspect that you have the original logo for the Satin Finish heads with those script models. I liked those too... thought they looked kind of neat.

GLAD those Slingerland BR cymbal stands were just the ticket for you! You have quite a nice collection of drums/hardware, so I'm sure they have a proper home!

Tommyp

Posted on 14 years ago

vintagemore2000!...

Schwing indeed!... and then some! LOL!!

Tommyp

Posted on 14 years ago

From Tommyp

A few replies, and in the order of the comments:BBK!... Yeah, I took a bit of liberty with the "vintage" aspect of these drums what with their being only '97's... but I figured the real appeal would be the BR configuration plus the fact that they were an endorsers personal drums which he special ordered as a Buddy set.. ( truly a guy I can relate to! LOL! ) I also know that you have a penchant for squeezing one's man berries, which I always find amusing! I'm assuming that you are referring to the 1st floor tom regarding it being "small"... indeed ... it is a 14x14, but that is exactly how I play all mine too! ( I leave the 2nd 16X16 home ) I like the "tonal spread" of 13.. 14.. 16... rather then two 16X16's with one de-tuned. I will attach a floor tom side view as it shows the two floor toms to excellent advantage. The shells are 6 ply maple, no rings. Tommyp

Sorry, I meant the tom arm for the rack tom. For some reason it looks very small....is that the same diameter arm as Ludwig's? Or did you use an aftermarket? I'm just wondering if you start to do some of those Buddy five stroke rolls how the tom holds up. I'll try not to squeeze too much......;)

Can you let us know who the endorser was? Also, I'm curious do you use the same type of cymbals as Buddy did or are you using something that you have gotten used to?

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here