Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

1989 Supra shell drilled holes.

Hi folks,

Today I started to clean/restore the Supra that I bought new, back in 1990.

I believe it's the first time I'm taking it apart and I was quite shocked to see the very poor quality of drilling. The muffler and lug-holes are clearly factory drilled but the ones for strainer and butt plate are horrible. The butt plate holes are not even aligned ?

Is this normal ?

5 attachments
Posted on 12 years ago

All companies have messed up..........

I have even seen some Rogers drums like that........

they were the most consistent too,I feel for great work(wo)manship.

I call them Friday or Monday drums!

"Always make sure your front bottom BD lugs clear the ground!"
Posted on 12 years ago

Yeah...hangover or day after pay day drums.I thought that ALL the holes were punched out on metal drums...I guess not.

Steve B

Posted on 12 years ago

Well,... I've been pretty hazy a few times on a Monday morning but this is just unacceptable and the Ludwig company unworthy I would say.

Take a close look at picture 3,... that's a hell of rough hole. You wonder how anybody can mess up a drilling job so badly!? (spot the cracks in the chrome!)

Just don't get it,....

Why wouldn't those holes have been (factory) drilled in the first place?

Maybe to use the shell for 6.5" super sensitive also ?

I will also have to replace 3 lugs as 3 of them are broken internally.

... I'm not impressed,...

Posted on 12 years ago

Addmittedly not Ludwigs finest period in history for quality control,as the company was left to wallow by the parent company which I think was and is Selmer.At the time I think they were fighting to keep the doors open,with Yamaha,Pearl Tama in Japan and Sonor and Preimer in Europe showing the world how to really build drums.American drum companys were left in the dust.American companys like Rogers and Slingerland didn't survive because of this and because their respective parent companys lacked an intellegent business plan which killed the brand..

Still no excuse.No company should rest on its laurels.

But like I said it is curious there was any holes drilled in that metal shell,because i'm pretty sure the holes were punched out and not drilled,which is more accurate and much faster.

Steve B

Posted on 12 years ago

It looks like when it got to the final assembly station on the production line the person doing the assembly found that somehow it had missed the stop where holes are punched for the throw-off and butt plate and decided to use a screw driver to "ream" the required holes. What a mess. I haven't taken apart many Ludwig drums, but I've never seen anything even near that in the ones I have disassembled.

Gary G.
1963 Ludwig Gold Sparkle Hollywood Kit
Ludwig Collection: 10 Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Customized Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Vintage Foot Pedals, 1 Single Value Bugle
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here