Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.86430%

1988 YAMAHA Lacquer

I have a 1988 Yamaha Power Tour Custom black lacquer kit. I have owned since new and play them every weekend.The overall finish is in good shape but it does have some light scratches. I would like to know what is the best product to use to remove most of the scratches and give the finish good protection and a nice shine.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Posted on 12 years ago

From CarlRando

I have a 1988 Yamaha Power Tour Custom black lacquer kit. I have owned since new and play them every weekend.The overall finish is in good shape but it does have some light scratches. I would like to know what is the best product to use to remove most of the scratches and give the finish good protection and a nice shine. Thanks for any suggestions.

Wow, I would have thought someone out there would have a quick answer to this. Oh well.

Posted on 12 years ago

I had a set of black Yamaha Rock Tour Custom drums that had a lot of swirls and some gouges / scratches.

I used Turtle Wax Swirl and Scratch Remover. I followed that up with some Meguires car wax.

The Swirl remover helped and waxing helped quite a bit as it had a lot of swirls, etc. It didn't look new, but certainly made the black look wetter and deeper.

You really need to remove the hardware to do the job right.

I normally use Trick Drum Polish for general cleaning/ polishing of kits.

Posted on 12 years ago

Stewart/McDonald is a guitar builder supplier. They sell all the fillers, lacquers, buffing and polishing compounds that guitar luthiers use to fix damage to lacquer guitar finishes. Same products and procedure for fixing dings in a drum shell finish or on the top of a guitar. Plenty of guitar finish repair tutorials available on the web. Check out Stewart/McDonald for any supplies you'll need. Best of luck with your project.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 12 years ago

Thanks for all the replies. I think I know what type of products to look for now. I have always kept them clean but after all these years they need a deep polishing and waxing. Now I just need to make sure I have the time to take them all apart and get them back together before my next gig. Unfortunate I'm down to one kit at the moment.

Thanks again,Carl

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here