Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

1984-85 Tama Imperialstar 26" Kicks

Greetings All,

This is my first post…ever to anywhere, so forgive me if I make some lame, should have known better mistake in my posting etiquette!

First, it has been really cool reading through old posts and learning so much about drums I never knew. I am an old rocker from the 70s-80s, cutting my listening teeth on bands like Chicago, Doobie Brothers, then into Rush, Deep Purple, ELP, Dixie Dregs, UK and so on.

I recently purchased some drums for the first time in 28 years. Sold an old 10-piece kit of Royal Pewter Tama Imperialstars back in 1983 because we couldn't afford Christmas gifts for the kids that year.

Since hanging up the bar band life, I have really only played in churches. Back in 2000 I got involved in Psalmdrummers, an international Christian drumming network and was fortunate enough to have traveled to the UK 3 years to attend international conferences and meet some awesome people/drummers from around the world.

Anyway, back to the new drums. I bought a double kick (22 inch) set of Wine Red Tama Imperialstars with 12, 13 mounted toms, 16 floor tom and an awesome 6-1/2 x 14 Imperialstar snare for $300. They are in very good condition, minor marking from toms rubbing bass drums, etc. I had to travel 3 hours from home to get them. A week later I found another kit, same time period, with two kicks (26 inch) 14, 15 mounted toms, 16 and 18 floor toms for $300. This kit was several miles from where I work.

According to the info I read throughout the posts these kits are from the 84-85 timeframe. T-Badges with the "T" in front of word Tama as slanted. Interior of shells have the zolla (sp?) coating without reinforcing rings.

I posted a small pic that shows them all setup quickly as I found room to set them up. The two 26" kicks are one out in front of the set just beyond the white floor tom and the other at the very rear with the black dot head on it.

A friend of mine told me the 26" kicks are quite rare. Is that true?

Anyway, thanks for reading, forgive me the long story, and I look forward both to hearing your thoughts and playing these beauties!

God Bless,

Jim Stroud

1 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

Hi there! I'm no Tama expert, but I do own a nice set of '79 birch Tama Superstars, which have a great sound (They're in the vintage drum gallery btw!) so I thought I'd share my thoughts.

I think to get hold of any half-decent 80's set for that price is good-going. Two find two is great! I think the 26 kicks are pretty rare, not unheard of, but I'm sure they produced less than the standard 22". My Tamas are rare in that the finish was never issued in the US, so it could be that Tama did a similar thing with sizes etc.

There are people on here with a much better knowledge, and in fact, I learned this from a previous enquiry about a Tama set I saw for sale, but there are some mixed opinions on some of the 80's Tama kits. Some were made of a nasty composite wood - some with painted interiors - though this doesn't mean yours are of that ilk. It's something to be wary of, but I'm sure it would become clear when you played them! Still, playing regular Tama kits never did Stewart Copeland any harm!!

Tama Superstar, 22, 22, 16, 14, 13 Desert Burst
Premier Genista, 22, 16, 13, 12 Black Lacquer
Premier Genista, 20, 14, 10 and snare Black Lacquer
Premier Resonator 22, 16, 14, 13 poly creme/black
Zickos 22, 16, 14, 13, clear acrylic and snare
Posted on 15 years ago

Hey Brody, thanks for the thoughts. Literally I just unloaded a small portion of the set from my truck as I played a gig today with a band and I am quite thrilled with what I heard today. So was the rest of the band. I only had the 22" kick, 15, 16 and 18. We were playing outdoors, yet in under a newer pavilion. The kick was the only drum we mic'd and we thought they rocked. And the snare cracked like nobody's business!

I just took a look at your Superstars, very nice! Is that you playing? a southpaw???

Posted on 15 years ago

Brody, I just saw you are from the UK. I have met quite a few drummers from the London area. Terl Bryant, Martin Neil, Phil Crabbe, Alun Leppitt, Calum Rees, Gary Husband...know of any of those guys?

Posted on 15 years ago

Hi! Well, guess you got lucky there - if the kit sounded nice to you and everyone else - Tama always did make loud drums! Plus, with all those sizes you've got any config for any situation. As for value of the 26"'s I'd just keep searching ebay/other places to see what other folk are selling them for, to give you an idea.

Yes that's me from the UK - the awkward southpaw!!! Yes I've heard of some of those guys, but never met any of them! Gary Husband a legend - has his own band going at the moment.

Anyway, let us know how the monserous 26"'s sound!!!!

Tama Superstar, 22, 22, 16, 14, 13 Desert Burst
Premier Genista, 22, 16, 13, 12 Black Lacquer
Premier Genista, 20, 14, 10 and snare Black Lacquer
Premier Resonator 22, 16, 14, 13 poly creme/black
Zickos 22, 16, 14, 13, clear acrylic and snare
Posted on 15 years ago

Looking at 1980 and 1983 Tama drums catalogs couldn't find any 26" bass drums listed...but am sure they made them back then. Good for you finding two of them beasts! Excited

My son and I own several drum sets, among them being a 1980 satin mahogany Superstar kit (22, 16 FT., 14, 13, and 12 rack toms with all Spartan hardware), a 1983 super-mahogany Superstar set (24, 18, 16 floor toms, 12, 13, 14 rack, and 8 plus 10 concert toms with all Titan hardware; snare drum is an 8" deep super-mahogany Artstar), and a mid '80s red Imperialstar kit (22, 16, 13, and 12).

Imho, these are some of the best drums ever produced by Tama, also including their Cordia wood Artstar sets of the era as well... Bowing Clapping Happy2

-elcid

"For God...King...and Spain!..." Rodrigo Dias de Vivar, El Cid...
Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks for the reply elcid. Even though I've been playing for 36 years now, I lay no claim to being an expert on various drums, manufacturers, qualities, etc…but I do agree that the 80s Imperialstars have been some of my favorites. These things have such a big sound to them.

And Brody, I am now using one of the 26s with my main setup now. That thing is so big, I have my 2 mounted toms level with my snare and basically surrounding it on the left and foreward sides because if I raise them high enough to set above that kick I would need a pilot's license to play them! I played outdoors last Sunday evening and what a sound, I'm definitely keeping at least this one for sure.

I think I am officially a drum buying addict now, help! I just bought my 4th set of drums this past week. I got a very old set of Yamahas for $50! From my research they appear to be late 60s early 70s, but missing a bit of stuff and of all things one of the mounted toms appears as if someone ran it across a table saw and put a 7 inch long, 1/4" wide slice into the shell! But there is enough there to make it a worthy project I should be able to have a 12, 16, 22 set when done.

Oh, and Brody, have you ever played any Jalapeno Drums made by David Nuttall there in the UK? Those things are like cannons. Terl Bryant actually used on tour with John Paul Jones. I actually got to play that same kit when in Birmingham for an Intl Psalm Drummers conference one year.

Well, cheers guys, nice talking to you.

Jim

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here