Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

1979 Slingerland Rarity question

I bought my Slingerland kit new in 1979. All of the hardware has a black finish (not chrome) all the stands, lugs etc. and the shell finish is just plain red, not pearl or sparkle. It's a very striking color combination. They are 5 ply (magnum?) shells and all the drums are oversized, 24" bd, 18" large tom, Deep snare etc. they're a power rock set. So I've recently been looking on ebay and Craigslist to see if I can find something similar but I haven't seen any. I'm thinking that this set might be kinda rare. Anybody have any input on this?

Thanks for listening, Irv

Posted on 16 years ago

In Rob Cook's "The Slingerland Book" he says "In the 1970's the drum finishes Slingerland offered were literally limitless." Then he has pictures of clear drums, denim drums and drums with Coca-Cola labels as the finish. He goes on to say, "Slingerland even offered to cover drums with artwork of the drummer's choice."

I offer this information not to say that your drums may not be a rare set but it sounds like finding matching sets for anything produced during the 70's could be challenge.

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 16 years ago

To be more specific, there is NO chrome at all on this kit. down to all the nuts and bults, rims, everything is powder coated black or something. I'm just curious if anyone has info about that. Did they do other colors? white chrome? I've seen the black chrome shells, maybe they had an all black kit?

Posted on 16 years ago

the only different plating I'm aware of is the gold plating as in the black gold sets, maybe some owner of the set had the hardware powder coated at some point?

Posted on 14 years ago

I remember seeing a set like yours at a local music store-once.I'd say it is quite rare.Please don't automatically equate rarity with monetary value.I never saw one of these sets on a stage anywhere,just the music store.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here