Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

1978 Slingerland drumset

I'd really like to get a ballpark figure on the value of these drums. I still play them out on occasion and they still sound and look great!

- Slingerland 7-piece kit

- Made in Niles, Illinois

- white gloss pearl finish

- maple shells (3 or 5 ply - no reiforcement rings)

- badge: Black and Silver Oval Badge, Niles IL 70's through the early 80's

- Snare: Steel w/ Chrome finish 5" X 14" COB Slingerland Radio King with 3-point strainer Niles Era

- Interior finish : Natural

- 10" tom, 12" tom, 13" tom, 14" tom, 18" floor tom, 24" bass drum, 14' x 5' snare

- Original stands, mounts, hoops and lugs

- Original snare stand & hi-hat stand

- Two original cymbals, both Zildjian: 13" hi-hats and 24" ping

- Original "Speed King" yellow & black bass drum pedal that still works like new

- Finish on toms and snare is excellent

- a few lugs missing from bottom hoop of snare

- a few lug handles missing from bass drum lugs

- 2 boom cymbal stands, 1 snare stand, 1 hi-hat stand still works well

- Booms have counterwieghts that are tightened with wing-nut screws and slide on and off

- Bass drum hoops are scratched and gouged and have some black paint missing.

- Most toms have some rust on the chrome hoops

- My father knew a guy in sales at the Niles factory in 1978 and I went up there and had-picked my set from the factory floor.

Go to My Space page to see the kit in action (today I use a gibraltar rack instead of the stands that came with it. I also use new double-bass pedal, new hi-hat stand and new snare stand, but I continue to use the Zildjians I bought with the set back in '78. Click on "Pics" and see two pictures of the kit in action ( I currently don't use the 10" tom):

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=80352090

Posted on 18 years ago

Let's narrow that snare down a little closer, can I see a picture of it?

- Snare: Steel w/ Chrome finish 5" X 14" COB Slingerland Radio King with 3-point strainer Niles Era

I'm not a myspace member so I can't see the pictures, can you post it on the forum?

David

Webmaster

Posted on 18 years ago

I don't have any good photos of the snare but I'll take one soon and post it.

I'ver attached a recent photo.

1 attachments
Posted on 18 years ago

I would say $600 to $800 for the set. These particular Slingerlands

will not bring as much as earlier Slingerlands and Slingerlands in a rare finish. Unless someone really wants the 18" floor and 24" bass, which are gaining in popularity.

David

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here