Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.25678%

1978 Pearl Wood Fiberglass

Basic 5-piece (22/16/13/12 w 6.5x14 Jupiter SD) purchased new in Hays, Ks in 1978. 18" FT added later. The 2nd 22" BD and 14" tom also added later, both of these added recently (2011) and are Fiberglass shells.

AZildjian cymbals (20" ride, 18" med crash, 16" thin crash, 15" hihats, 8" splash) new in early 70s. 10" Zildjian ZBT China splash added in 2012.

Ludwig Pnuematic throne new in 1972.

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
"Redrums - Ks" on FB and Reverb
(also "billnvick" on eBay)
Posted on 12 years ago

Wow!

-You have done just what I was planning to do with my Pearls.

I have 13,14,18,24" W/Fg and I plan to add 12,16,22" Fg shells.

Have you been bothered by the difference in sound from the two types of shells?

/Johan M

70's Slingerland, 13,14,18,24" Copper wrap
70's Pearl Wood/fiberglass 12,13,13,14,16,18,22,24" Red
70's Pearl Fiberglass shells 12,13,16, 22" White
70's Hayman, 13,14,16,22" Black
60's Hoshino, 13,16,20" WMP
2009 Ludwig element, 10,12,13,16,22" Orange
Posted on 12 years ago

Very nice. Always had a soft spot for 70s Pearls. I used to play a set with a 26", never had a problem making myself heard!

Get off! Get your f**in' clothes and get off! Right now! Pull the f**in' bus over! -Buddy Rich
Posted on 12 years ago

From Fortissimo

Wow!-You have done just what I was planning to do with my Pearls.I have 13,14,18,24" W/Fg and I plan to add 12,16,22" Fg shells.Have you been bothered by the difference in sound from the two types of shells?/Johan M

Yes, on the 10x14 anyway. That's the reason for a different head than the rest -- it helped, but just isn't quite right. One of these days I will locate a 10x14 W/FG tom in the same finish and the problem will be solved.

As for the 2nd BD, not a problem at all BUT I would like to locate either a 14x24, 14x20 or 14x18 in the W/FG (same finish, of course!), 'cause I like the looks and sound of different sized BDs.

What color are yours? I've got a complete 22/16/13/12 FG set in the same blue finish, although the wrap is rough (only about a 6-out-of-10). Also have a complete set of "raw" shells. Shipping will be an issue to Europe, however...

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
Posted on 12 years ago

From Lingontega

Very nice. Always had a soft spot for 70s Pearls. I used to play a set with a 26", never had a problem making myself heard!

With me, "soft spot" don't fit -- it's more like an "obsession!" I LOVE these drums!

I've never run across a 14x26 from the 70s, anyway... was it available in the American market during that time?

Yes, both the fiberglass shells and the wood-fiberglass shells projected very well. And, both could also be "toned-down" in smaller, quieter venues as well. At least that's my experience!

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
Posted on 12 years ago

Bill those drums are sweet! Hope you play double bass better than I do!! Thanks for sharing.

Jeff C

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 12 years ago

From jccabinets

Bill those drums are sweet! Hope you play double bass better than I do!! Thanks for sharing.Jeff C

Jeff -- thanks!

As for playing double bass, well I don't think I'm all that good at it, but do try.

BTW -- the B/W Ludwig Rockers badge showed up in yesterday's mail! It will work fine. Thanks!

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
Posted on 12 years ago

From billnvick

Jeff -- thanks!As for playing double bass, well I don't think I'm all that good at it, but do try.BTW -- the B/W Ludwig Rockers badge showed up in yesterday's mail! It will work fine. Thanks!

Good! glad it will work for you.

Jeff C

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 12 years ago

Bill!

Sorry for not answering earlier. -Been away working.

I have a red W/Fg kit in sizes 13,14,18,24".

I also have a white Fgshells kit in sizes, 12,13,16,22". However I was not planning to mix these two kits as it would be to much trouble to find a red wrap for these white drums.

I have however came across this fiberglass shell kit (12,13,16,22") in the exact matching red color. I think I can buy these at a very reasonble price. I am just a bit worried about the difference in sound betweeen the two types of shells. It would be great to have a kit with double bass drums (I do think that having two different sizes of bass drums is the way to go)

Now I wonder: Is this a good plan, or should I wait and hope for a W/Fg kit in the right color to emerge?

/Johan M

1 attachments
70's Slingerland, 13,14,18,24" Copper wrap
70's Pearl Wood/fiberglass 12,13,13,14,16,18,22,24" Red
70's Pearl Fiberglass shells 12,13,16, 22" White
70's Hayman, 13,14,16,22" Black
60's Hoshino, 13,16,20" WMP
2009 Ludwig element, 10,12,13,16,22" Orange
Posted on 12 years ago

From Fortissimo

Bill!Sorry for not answering earlier. -Been away working.I have a red W/Fg kit in sizes 13,14,18,24".I also have a white Fgshells kit in sizes, 12,13,16,22". However I was not planning to mix these two kits as it would be to much trouble to find a red wrap for these white drums.I have however came across this fiberglass shell kit (12,13,16,22") in the exact matching red color. I think I can buy these at a very reasonble price. I am just a bit worried about the difference in sound betweeen the two types of shells. It would be great to have a kit with double bass drums (I do think that having two different sizes of bass drums is the way to go)Now I wonder: Is this a good plan, or should I wait and hope for a W/Fg kit in the right color to emerge?/Johan M

IF I were you... I'd probably get the FG ones that match, as long as I could get them reasonably priced. Then play them until the real deal comes along. In fact, that's what I've done with the BD and 10x14 tom, as discussed above. I think that probably with the right combination of heads the sound can be brought within tolerance.

I will keep my eyes open for red w/fg. That's easy 'cause just like I told another member today, I'm always interested -- which means I'm always looking.

Hey, keep us posted, OK? Then if you do get them, how about pictures with it all put together... that would be a monster, wouldn't it?

Bill

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here