Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.05219%

1978 Ludwig Super-Sensitive available

I always wanted one of these, and it is a great sounding drum. Looks good too- I made one out of two.

Snare wires are aftermarket, but they are in decent condition. Ludwig-branded replacements are available if you prefer to change them.

Nothing is "perfect" on this drum, but it has been totally torn down (actually, two were) and the best looking and working parts were cherry picked and built up on this shell, which was the better of the two shells. Remo heads, which have been played by me, are installed and have lots of life left.

The snare mechanism is a bit too wide to use this on the kit, so I predominantly use the Acrolyte snare instead. I'd be happy to trade for a similar condition Supraphonic to give me a ten-lug Acrolyte. So, if you have surplus Supraphonics and would like a Super-Sensitive, a trade sounds like a good idea.

Otherwise, pricing will be in line with completed sales on eBay at time of sale (About $185 as of today) for a PayPal F&F deal, plus shipping cost to your location. Or pick it up during the week in West Hartford, CT for free!

Let's chat!

Cobalt Blue Yamaha Recording Custom 20b-22b-8-10-12-13-15-16f-18f
Red Ripple '70's Yamaha D-20 20b-12-14f
Piano Black Yamaha Recording Custom Be-Bop kit 18b-10-14f
Snares:
Yamaha COS SDM5; Yamaha Cobalt Blue RC 5-1/2x14; Gretsch round badge WMP; 1972 Ludwig Acrolite; 1978 Ludwig Super Sensitive; Cobalt Blue one-off Montineri; Yamaha Musashi 6.5X13 Oak; cheap 3.5X13 brass piccolo
Posted on 2 years ago

I'm sure it's out there, but would be interesting to blindfold someone and play a vintage 1970s Supersensitive, Acrolite, Supraphonic and couple other Ludwig 70s snares and see if the person can discern which is which.

The greatest gift you can give your family and the world is a healthy you. - Joyce Meyer
Posted on 2 years ago

Differences are subtle for sure.

You can get crazy sensitivity with the SS but it generally ends up being a buzz factory on a kit if you get it that sensitive. Better for concert use for sure.

The Supra and Acrolyte? Nothing really. Acros are great because they are cheap. Shells are identical; just less holes drilled into them and less stuff screwed on. So theoretically, you'd hear more of the shell with and Acro than a Supra. But I don't hear much difference personally.

Snares:
Yamaha COS SDM5; Yamaha Cobalt Blue RC 5-1/2x14; Gretsch round badge WMP; 1972 Ludwig Acrolite; 1978 Ludwig Super Sensitive; Cobalt Blue one-off Montineri; Yamaha Musashi 6.5X13 Oak; cheap 3.5X13 brass piccolo
Posted on 2 years ago

Well, it's been almost a year since my last post on this.

It is still available; pricing is still about the same as well. Not a lot have sold recently...

I'd still be keen on a trade too.

Snares:
Posted on 1 year ago

Hi J!m,

Any reason you can't post pictures?

-Mark

Posted on 1 year ago
Action Another action Something else here