Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.25678%

1976 Sonor - Todays Craigslist Find

Hi! Being that I am new to the vintage drum scene, let me know your opinions on this one and let me know if you think I got a good deal - It's a 22" kick, 12/13 riding tom, and a 16 floor - Came from the original owner and she said it's a Centinial edition. Since this is my first Sonor set, I don't know much about them. It came with a Premier snare, I'm assuming late 70's/early 80's and it weighs a ton - die cast hoops on top and bottom and like super sensitive and sounds awesome. Unfortunately what it didn't come with are all the bottom hoops for the drums and the front hoop for the bass drum. I got the lugs and I'm missing probably 16 of the weird looking lugs for the toms and that's about it. With gas, I've got $260 in them - Here's the pics - Thanks!

Posted on 12 years ago

From RLRRLRLL

Hi! Being that I am new to the vintage drum scene, let me know your opinions on this one and let me know if you think I got a good deal - It's a 22" kick, 12/13 riding tom, and a 16 floor - Came from the original owner and she said it's a Centinial edition. Since this is my first Sonor set, I don't know much about them. It came with a Premier snare, I'm assuming late 70's/early 80's and it weighs a ton - die cast hoops on top and bottom and like super sensitive and sounds awesome. Unfortunately what it didn't come with are all the bottom hoops for the drums and the front hoop for the bass drum. I got the lugs and I'm missing probably 16 of the weird looking lugs for the toms and that's about it. With gas, I've got $260 in them - Here's the pics - Thanks!

WoW!! nice set and great deal.Your set is from the mid 1970's-{1975}- its a Sonor Phonic model they have the 9 ply beechwood shells..The color is Natural Oak..Set is model number XK 972 if i recall right it sold from about 1,500.00.The only bad thing is that someone added a Ludwig "L" arm mount to the bass drum in the wrong place its at the back side of the drum..Oh the spurs on the bass drum should be faceing the other way they have the front head side as playing side...Like i said at 260.00 for the drums its a Great deal..Mikey

Posted on 12 years ago

Those Sonors are sweet. You will have a bit of a pain restoring to original greatness however you'll love the results. Finding the right parts will be the hard part. The slotted rods can be quite expensive let alone hard to find. I dont know if you could use standard rods with these. I don't think you can. I too recently bought some 70's Sonors,mine are called Champions. They are six ply beech as opposed to your nine ply beech shells. You can look my post up at drumforum.org. Use the search bar and type in Sonor champions. I had to gather a few parts as well to complete my kit. Very well built and great sounding drums.

Posted on 12 years ago

Hello,

If it's not too costy conc. the freight charges from Germany, this guy will be able to serve you with Sonor spare parts:

http://www.stdrums.de/

Ralf

Vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de
Posted on 12 years ago

Your drums are 1975 Phonic Cenntenial,...the BD tom mount does not belong to that kit,..the L arm cymbal thing does not belong and is covering a missing and never gonna find badge. The Ferromanganese seamless hoops and T rods will take time and $$$. You can`t fail for that price.

When tunning,..push down on the hoop near the rod you are turnning, it will let you turn the rod without tourqeing through the snap-lock wire washers. All the T-rods should have a flat milled into the threads. The Bass Drum should not have snap-lock lugs. Ten or more lugs do not require anti-rollback lugs. If the FT has the large logo stamped into the lugs,..that`s fine and factory, the rest should have small logo includeing the harware !!

First phase Phonics are transitional period made and can be mistaken for Super Champions, or visa versa !! After 1980, all Phonics had large logo lugand hardware stamps !!

You`ll find that the boat mount for the Tom mount will shake alot when played hard,...This is because the tube was thin and the boat plate tiny in comparison to the later Phonic BD mount.

I can`t tell from the photo`s if your lugs have snap-lock system,...a close-up of each drum would help. There`s a rule of thumb with 75 Cenntenials,...No snap-lock, No Phonic....Some would argue differently,..but the feature difference between Super Champions and First Phase Phonics is the snap-lock feature and keys and sometimes badge. Yours have Phonic keys !!

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 12 years ago

Mikey,...The Boat mount is on correctly and the spurs are correctly installed. The spurs lift the front hoop off the floor and the pedal keeps the batter side off the floor,....NEVER rest a Phonic reso side hoop on the floor !! The anti walk spikes are adjustable buy turnning the rubber on the spurs !!

Posted on 12 years ago

The reason they are mounted closer to the batter side is so when you fold them in,..they don`t contact the lugs !!

Posted on 12 years ago

From RLRRLRLL

Please shoot me a CLOSEUP of the BD hoop......

I MIGHT have one for ya!

Send to:

[email]Blairndrums@gmail.com[/email]

"Always make sure your front bottom BD lugs clear the ground!"
Posted on 12 years ago

......Storage purposes....

1 attachments

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here