Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

1976 5x14 Ludwig clear Vistalite

An Ebay find, this pristine specimen is to be added to the drumset at the congregation I've been with since 2014, First Filipino-American United Church of Christ in San Bruno, California. I had tested out my amber Vistalite snare of the same size in consecutive weeks to positive responses both from fellow praise band members and those singing up front, running a Remo zero-ring on top of the clear Vintage Emperor head (sometimes turning up the tone control to full muffling as well) very clean tone with a bit more focus than the 6.5x14 Yamaha steel snare that had been the mainstay there.

Will get to test it out with my kit later today with a coated Vintage Emperor head, providing a bit of a contrast to the amber Vistalite snare that's my primary workhorse of late. I also have a clear Remo Powerstroke 4 head on its way as I would like to get a similar, fat/controlled sound as that Emperor/zero ring combo, but without the need for the zero ring itself.

1 attachments
Chris
Posted on 7 years ago

A few more shots of it

Chris
Posted on 7 years ago

More pics!

I had a finicky time with the sticker on the P-85 - it was a bit loose in a corner, so I tried supergluing it back onto the throwoff...and the superglue was painful to clean up. I got most of it off though.

3 attachments
Chris
Posted on 7 years ago

Very nice!! Vistalite has a sound all their own...

Cheers

1976 Ludwig Mach 4 Thermogloss 26-18-14-14sn
1978 Ludwig Stainless 22-22-18-16-14-13-12 c/w 6-8-10-12-13-14-15-16-18-20-22-24 concert toms
1975 Sonor Phonic Centennials Metallic Pewter 22-16-13-12-14sn (D506)
1971 Ludwig Classic Bowling Ball OBP 22-16-14-13
1960's Stewart Peacock Pearl 20-16-12-14sn
1980`s Ludwig Coliseum Piano Black 8x14 snare
1973 Rogers Superten 5x14 & 6.5x14 COS snares
1970`s John Grey Capri Aquamarine Sparkle 5x14 snare
1941 Ludwig & Ludwig Super 8x14 snare
Posted on 7 years ago

Tried it out with the Vistalite kit today and did a lot of comparing between my amber Vistalite snare with the clear Vintage Emperor head and this clear Vistalite snare running a not-so-new coated Vintage Emperor batter.

Since I had both drums essentially tuned the same - medium-low - it was really apparent right away the coated head brings out much more of the snare wire tone while the clear one emphasizes the shell character. Both sound great at that range. (When I received the snare in the mail yesterday, it had a tightly-tuned coated Powerstroke 3 on top, not quite as in the sweet spot for these shells compared to my two-ply/looser tuning preferences)

Waiting for the clear Powerstroke 4 I ordered to arrive as that will be the head I'll try it out with in the sanctuary this weekend.

Chris
Posted on 7 years ago

And now with the Powerstroke 4: short note with a lot of snare tone.

Chris
Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here