Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.65344%

1973 Slingerland Buddy Rich

From Tommyp

Dean!Allow me to respond as I have a 1st production model of this drum.. ( earlier than this one, and EXACTLY as BR played his ) .. as the black/gold badge will attest. Mine dates to LATE 1969, which is when Buddy was playing BOTH models, although he preferred the COW over the WMP as it is a bit brighter in sound. I have both drums in my BR snare drum collection and can state that Buddy was correct! Anyway, regarding the Choppers vs. the later Savers:There really is no "advantage" to the StickChoppers other than that they have a different "feel" to them, and THAT is what is so neat about them! The StickChopper came out of the original "straight edge" hoops/clips era, and Slingerland continued to offer them by request. Buddy preferred the StickChoppers, thus this particular model snare drum being THE Buddy Rich, was originally cataloged/offered with StickChoppers, as was the later BR/TDR. A lot of guys that bought the drum back in the day opted for the StickSavers though! I also have to say I like the "feel" of the StickChoppers, and their name is real accurate. Play these hoops for a bit and you will have a wood chip/sawdust pile under your snare drum! They DO chew up sticks!, but that's just part of the experience. Here's a couple pics of my early production model of the same drum, as well as the WMP model, BOTH with Choppers!Tommyp

Hey Tommyp, thanks for the low-down. Great description. Pics are super, too. When I get to my next vintage drum show, I'll look for some choppers and maybe give them a try...as you mention and as you shared before, my BR TDR has savers on them, but the chopper option is all news to me...But now I know thanks to you. D.

Posted on 10 years ago

I'm so jealous of those of you fortunate enough to score a "real" Slingerland BR 4x14 snare drum! I wasn't able to track down a COW for my 1967 Slingerland kit, so I decided to have a shell built for me, covered in Silver Sparkle, to match my kit. Turned out better than I hoped for! I was even able to track down a Black/Brass badge with a serial number very close to the rest of my kit. Still, I'd love a "real" COW!

As to the Stick Choppers, I purchased mine from drumfactorydirect. Beautiful 2.3mm solid brass hoops with lustrous chrome. Yes, they're almost $50 each, but worth it for that "Buddy" vibe!

Mark

4 attachments
Posted on 10 years ago

From idrum4fun

I'm so jealous of those of you fortunate enough to score a "real" Slingerland BR 4x14 snare drum! I wasn't able to track down a COW for my 1967 Slingerland kit, so I decided to have a shell built for me, covered in Silver Sparkle, to match my kit. Turned out better than I hoped for! I was even able to track down a Black/Brass badge with a serial number very close to the rest of my kit. Still, I'd love a "real" COW!As to the Stick Choppers, I purchased mine from drumfactorydirect. Beautiful 2.3mm solid brass hoops with lustrous chrome. Yes, they're almost $50 each, but worth it for that "Buddy" vibe!Mark

Mark!

Those drums are BEAUTIFUL!!.. and .. the snare drum is PERFECT! Buddy vibe indeed!

Tommyp

Posted on 10 years ago

From idrum4fun

I'm so jealous of those of you fortunate enough to score a "real" Slingerland BR 4x14 snare drum! I wasn't able to track down a COW for my 1967 Slingerland kit, so I decided to have a shell built for me, covered in Silver Sparkle, to match my kit. Turned out better than I hoped for! I was even able to track down a Black/Brass badge with a serial number very close to the rest of my kit. Still, I'd love a "real" COW!As to the Stick Choppers, I purchased mine from drumfactorydirect. Beautiful 2.3mm solid brass hoops with lustrous chrome. Yes, they're almost $50 each, but worth it for that "Buddy" vibe!Mark

Hey Mark that snare looks fantastic as does the whole kit!

You'd never know the snare is a "replica", great job, looks brilliant.

Inside of the shell looks very nice, who made it for you?

Stevo

"It's Charlie Watts' band
Without him we wouldn't have a group"

Keith Richards
Posted on 10 years ago

Tommyp and Stevo!

Thanks for the wonderful comments about my kit and BR replica snare drum! The shell was made for me by Drum Supply House. Yes, the same place (Andy Foote) that we've all be having so much problem with. I knew something was up when it took 3 months to get the shell. However, the craftsmanship is first-rate and made to my specifications. Andy's tech wrapped the shell and drilled for the lugs. I drilled for the Zoomatic, butt and air vent. Bearing edges are round-over/45. Just a beautiful drum!

An interesting fact about the bass and toms is that all have original Slingerland 60's heads on them, really letting you know what it's like to play these drums from the factory. The bass drum batter head has the built-in muffler strap, too!

Mark

Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here