Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

1972 Rose Morris 120 Big Band Outfit/Sapphire Flame

Jon,

those are so sweet!Cool1

Can you shoot some pics of the stands? We never see those here..........

thanks

"Always make sure your front bottom BD lugs clear the ground!"
Posted on 11 years ago

Tak!

Yes, I can put them up one day - I will prefer a day without rain, as pics outside gets so much better.

The hihatstand really is not very good in the action, but the cymbal and snare stand are quite nice, if basic. NOT as glorious as Premiers of the same vintage.

Jon

Posted on 11 years ago

Few stands are!

"Always make sure your front bottom BD lugs clear the ground!"
Posted on 11 years ago

When drums like this show up , it makes one wonder why they didn't sell enough of them. They have to be one of the classiest and most beautifully designed drums . They also are fine sounding and tuning drums, finished with quality materials and care yet relegated to the pack of also-rans.

Posted on 11 years ago

From calfskin

When drums like this show up , it makes one wonder why they didn't sell enough of them. They have to be one of the classiest and most beautifully designed drums . They also are fine sounding and tuning drums, finished with quality materials and care yet relegated to the pack of also-rans.

Yes, I have been wondering too.

One reason, I guess, is the smaller companys lack of funds for marketing - and for attracting big names as endorsers.

Another is, that the shells must have been on the verge of becoming old school by 1972 - with their quite flat inner edges and rounded outside - and "vintage" not yet being a buzzword in marketing yet....Maybe the flashy wrap wasn´t enough to convince buyers that they were really up-to-date?

I think John Grey had an aura of "Old Man in a Dance Band" about them, hence the changes in brands, first to Rose-Morris and few years later to Shaftesbury. That probably just left the kits without the provenance Premier, Ludwig, Gretsch, Slingerland and Sonor had.

The quality of the kit is very high, and the fittings very good, the tommount system far superior in adjustability compared to Premier Lokfast and Ludwig.

So....

Jon

Posted on 11 years ago

very nice. the bass drum t's are sweet

Posted on 11 years ago

I like looking back at the old pics in our gallery...Here is a beautiful set!!

Cheers

1976 Ludwig Mach 4 Thermogloss 26-18-14-14sn
1978 Ludwig Stainless 22-22-18-16-14-13-12 c/w 6-8-10-12-13-14-15-16-18-20-22-24 concert toms
1975 Sonor Phonic Centennials Metallic Pewter 22-16-13-12-14sn (D506)
1971 Ludwig Classic Bowling Ball OBP 22-16-14-13
1960's Stewart Peacock Pearl 20-16-12-14sn
1980`s Ludwig Coliseum Piano Black 8x14 snare
1973 Rogers Superten 5x14 & 6.5x14 COS snares
1970`s John Grey Capri Aquamarine Sparkle 5x14 snare
1941 Ludwig & Ludwig Super 8x14 snare
Posted on 7 years ago

From Jon Petersen

Yes british, but made by John Grey, not Ajax.Some history here:http://hindleandheely.co.uk/catalog/category/view/s/u-k-history/id/15/Catalogue here:http://www.drumarchive.com/Rose_Morris/The kit is in great shape, no pitting, not many scratches and none severe - only flaking paint on the bassdrum hoops - more due to drying out than heavy use. Beautiful lugs, T-rods, die-cast hoops - and a very funky wrap!Jon

I think that Rose Morris owned the name John Grey.

Keep fixing them up...
Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here