Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.45303%

1972 Pearl 10 Lug COB 5X14 Jupiter

Our prized Pearl Jupiter snare that came with my first professional drum set, a Pearl FS1 set in WMP. It was a gift from my folks in 1975 when I was 14 years old. The snare has its original factory Remo Ambassador head which I've banged on to this very day. Snare has a nice crisp crack and sounds even better than it looks. This just had the VDF recommended Simmichrome polish treatment. Enjoy. E Dean Heck & Family

Posted on 10 years ago

Very nice snare indeed and with it`s original batter head too!I love the fact that you have taken good care of it all these years and the story behind it.It`s a real beauty for sure but i had to put on my sunglasses to view it.Great polish job!

Wayne

1967 Rogers Cleveland Champagne Sparkle
1967/68 Rogers Dayton Champagne Sparkle
1966 Rogers cob 7 Line Dynasonic Snare.
1967 Rogers "Humberto Morales" Timbales.
1980 Ludwig B/O badge 14x 6.5 Black Beauty Snare.
1980 Ludwig B/O badge Red Cortex
1988 Sonor "Horst Link" HLD 590 14x8 Bronze Snare
Posted on 10 years ago

very nice indeed. I have the same snare with my Crystal Beat kit and it's a really nice drum, although maybe not quite as minty as yours

Andrew

Golden Curtain
www.myspace.com/garagelandnz
Posted on 10 years ago

From Wayne Brown

Very nice snare indeed and with it`s original batter head too!I love the fact that you have taken good care of it all these years and the story behind it.It`s a real beauty for sure but i had to put on my sunglasses to view it.Great polish job!Wayne

Thanks, Wayne. Sometimes the tensioning of the snares gets touchy...I'd love to find someone who could have a look at it or at least coach me on how to make the proper adjustments on it....there must be interest in these snares as I see them fetching awesome prices on the bay...I will post a gallery shot of the rest of the FS-1 WMP set when I get it from storage and give it the VDF once over. dean The Band

Posted on 10 years ago

From Fayray

very nice indeed. I have the same snare with my Crystal Beat kit and it's a really nice drum, although maybe not quite as minty as yours

Hey Fay, how do you like those acrylic drums? I've never heard them. In my memory from a teen I thought the drummer for 3 Dog Night played acrylics...maybe Luddy vistas...from the catalogs I see an acrylic snare offered....yours must be from the year before when offered with the COB...I have 2 Pearl sets. One is what longjohn says is a backbeat incomplete set I've discussed on this forum in Blue swirl or oyster pearl. (See my post in non USA from 2-21). It's my player set now. The other, I think, is a 72-73 FS-1 in WMP that I plan to put in the gallery after the VDF once-over. Got the Jupiter with this set and I share it between the 2 sets---although the WMP may now become a collector, non-player set. Thanks for your compliment. dean D' Drummer

Posted on 10 years ago

From deansdrums59

Hey Fay, how do you like those acrylic drums? I've never heard them. In my memory from a teen I thought the drummer for 3 Dog Night played acrylics...maybe Luddy vistas...from the catalogs I see an acrylic snare offered....yours must be from the year before when offered with the COB...I have 2 Pearl sets. One is what longjohn says is a backbeat incomplete set I've discussed on this forum in Blue swirl or oyster pearl. (See my post in non USA from 2-21). It's my player set now. The other, I think, is a 72-73 FS-1 in WMP that I plan to put in the gallery after the VDF once-over. Got the Jupiter with this set and I share it between the 2 sets---although the WMP may now become a collector, non-player set. Thanks for your compliment. dean D' Drummer

Hey Dean, the acrylics sound really good. They are quite loud and are really easy to tune. I haven't recorded with them but I use them live and they do the trick. To be honest, I bought the snare separately as the set came with some old Tama snare. Like you say, they came with a matching acrylic snare or the COB Jupiter. As you can see from the photo, finding a matching, faded red snare wasn't going to happen. I'll go back and seek out your blue kit. Looking forward to seeing the FS-1

2 attachments
Andrew

Golden Curtain
Posted on 10 years ago

Awesome! Thanks for sharing the pics...Really solves some curiosity over these drums from this era. Like your original hardware too. As I get more into this stuff, I'll keep an eye for that acrylic snare..it's out there somewhere....is there another tom? Like my backbeat players, I'm missing a tom...I just recently pulled my Pearl BD pedal from storage and it's now on this set. dean

Posted on 10 years ago

That's outstanding Dean. I had a kit in that finish but the darker version. I've never played those shells. Nice?

I do have the 12" tom but it must've been stored away from the rest of the kit so it hasn't faded. It's bright red:).

Andrew

Golden Curtain
Posted on 10 years ago

Hey Andrew. The shells have a warmer woodier tone as compared to my FS1 with all fiberglass shells. The FS1 has louder slightly more aggressive sound as was perfect for me when playing gigs and not micked...as I understand the concept of fiberglass vs. wood, the all fiberglass did just what it was supposed to do: project. In '75 when I got them, had no clue....

Not too clear, but here is the FS1 WMP using only 1 up, 1 down (my preferred set-up) in a gig at a festival in PA about 2006 doing the Beatles/60's thing... The Band

Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here