Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.66597%

1971 Slingerland

1971 Slingerland Buddy Rich Outfit No. 80N

Lacquer Mahogany Finish

22x14, 16x16, 13x9, 5 1/2 x 14 Artist snare

5 x 14 COB Gene Krupa Sound King snare (seemed appropriate)

Twin 66 Buddy Rich cymbal stands

806 Dynamo Hi Hat stand

1382 Rocket Snare stand

938 Tempo King Pedal

(Slingerland flat bass stand to hold the extra snare)

(two non-standard bass cymbal arms)

Posted on 15 years ago

Very nice job on these mcjnic!... but to be a TRUE Slingerland Buddy Rich #80N, you need the 2nd 16X16 floor tom. Buddy's set was always cataloged in that configuration as THE #80N. Not meant to demean these in any way of course, just means you have to scare up a 2nd 16X16 in Mahogany/Lacquer! Very nice regardless!!

Tommyp

Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks TommyP. Believe me when I say, that tom is missed! In my other write-up under the "Restoration" thread, I state that I'm still looking for that elusive tom. I am also requesting assistance from you guys. If you see one, let me know. Peel those eyes.

Posted on 15 years ago

Is this the thin-shelled-warm-and-full-rich-sounding-set-o-Slingys you been talkin' about?

Man,I dig-em...and check those stands (mutter, mutter, grumble, growl )

Congrats on winning those....(harumph)

There's a couple of 16x16s on Daflay, one's a complete drum calling itself a sixties, but the badge says 70s..... the other's a 70's shell...

Seriously, I love the Mahogany finish... did you tung oil, and then lacquer, or hardwax , or .... How'd ya do it, man?

Kevin
Posted on 15 years ago

I kept the finish original. i didn't dare do anything that would alter the kit.

So, I did the normal hardware clean/replace and such. As for the shells, I cleaned them real well and waxed them. They've aged real well. The finish under the lugs is lighter and testifies to the smooth aging process these shells underwent. I did have to do a repair or three. Typical rering issue and drill snag. No bad issues at all, though. That snare was a bit of a nightmare. Slingerland didn't bother to put a bed on it. Had to put one in myself. That was a bit nerve-wracking. Sounds good now, though. Very crisp and sensitive.

If you locate a 16 floor in the lacquer mahogany, I would appreciate a heads up. I've looked since the day I picked this kit up. I found a mahogany Slingerland kit but no single tom. Tough tough tough. I'm patient. It will appear.

Actually, these are not "those" stands. I got these right after I picked up the kit. "Those" stands were recently purchased for another kit. I've got four - two for each kit. I try to have a particular stand set-up for each kit. It's the anal retentiveness kicking in. I'm still short one flat Luddy Standard cymbal stand and one Luddy early Atlas snare stand.

Posted on 15 years ago

From mcjnic

Thanks TommyP. Believe me when I say, that tom is missed! In my other write-up under the "Restoration" thread, I state that I'm still looking for that elusive tom. I am also requesting assistance from you guys. If you see one, let me know. Peel those eyes.

Great looking kit mcjnic!

Got an 80N myself with the same problem, only one floor tom.

You can tell it's a Buddy Rich kit by the double bass drum spurs and two

shell mounted cymbal mounts.I bet it sounds great!

"It's Charlie Watts' band
Without him we wouldn't have a group"

Keith Richards
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here