Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.66180%

1971 Slingerland No. 80N in Lacquer Mahogany

If you find one that doesn't match you can always strip it and stain it to match, look for a natural maple one.

Posted on 15 years ago

Lucky!...

... and that's what drawing on 31 years of memory will do... DOH!!!!!! What you say makes complete sense actually, because... Slingerland calls it "Mahogany Wood Finish"... not Mahaogany shell. Indeed! That said:

This does become much easier mcjnic, a natural maple shell is the way, with strip/stain as has been suggested... and ... the stain you want is made by ZAR. They actually have a Mahogany stain with tons of depth/pigment... ( it's a masking stain actually, although it is also wiped after application ) ... unlike say Minwax which just doesn't have the depth of color/pigment. Also available in the ZAR line is a Cherry that might also be a contender on matching. Onward sir!!!

Tommyp

Posted on 15 years ago

oooooooo......good idea. That should help widen the scope of the search a bit. Thank you guys so much. I will proceed.

Posted on 15 years ago

From mcjnic

I haven't discussed this one much on the forum. I drove down to Dallas to pick it up around the beginning of the year. I've continued working on it off and on. Mostly, I've played with it. I've just about completed the restoration. I still have not been able to find the second 16. I would appreciate any assistance given. I will continue to search ... Until then, this is the kit. I have another set of spurs enroute. There are two pair here, but I found a nicer set to switch out. Forgot to put the rubber tips on the spurs for the pics. If you look closely, you will see them on the bass spike thingy. Oh well...This is by no means similar to what Buddy used. It's the Slingerland model number kit only.1971 Slingerland Buddy Rich Outfit No. 80NLacquer Mahogany Finish22x14, 16x16, 13x9, 5 1/2 x 14 Artist snare5 x 14 COB Gene Krupa Sound King snare (seemed appropriate)Twin 66 Buddy Rich cymbal stands806 Dynamo Hi Hat stand1382 Rocket Snare stand938 Tempo King Pedal(another flat bass stand to hold the extra snare)(two non-standard bass cymbal arms)This one was a kick to work on. I really enjoyed searching out the appropriate parts and the cool little twiddly bits. Those stupid skinny spurs were a nightmare, though. The shells on this kit are ridiculously thin. They are about half as thin as any of my other 3-ply shells. Seriously thin. Consequently, they are very resonant and sensitive. I can't seem to find the best heads to take advantage of that...as of yet. I believe I'm going to put either calf or goat skin on it (or a combination of the two). I've played it out a couple of times. The other musicians seemed to really be taken by it. I don't believe I'll be doing that again, though. It's a bit too delicate for banging around town. It's a home kit.I'll hang on to this one for a while. I really like playing it.

I have the 80N set that was used to take the picture with Buddy....

I believe my article is still posted on this site.....They are great drums

Posted on 14 years ago

That's so cool. You must post pics of you sitting with that one. Unreal. That is such a cool kit and they sound oh so sweet. I've fallen in love with mine. Almost got rid of it. Wife stepped in and saved it. I thank her every day that I sit behind it. Calf heads have found a permanent home on it. Please tell me you play yours.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here