Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.85595%

1970's/80's Ludwig Chrome Vistalite?

I just picked up a kit that appears to be a Vistalite shell that was wrapped in the Chrome/Steel drum finish. Anyone know anything about when exactly these were made and what the worth might be?

Kit is in great shape and is a 24x14" kick, 13x9" & 14x10" rack toms, 16x16" floor tom and a 5x14" supraphonic. I have never seen anything quite like it.

Any info would be great!

Thanks.

Posted on 17 years ago

A Vistalite wrapped in chrome wrap???? I've got to see pictures of that one!

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 17 years ago

Yeah, it's strange. Looks like a clear Vistalite shell that has been wrapped in a metal mirror finish. At first I thought that it was maybe a fiber glass shell because of the rust that built up on the back side of the wrap(which can be seen from the inside of the shell thanks to the clear acrylic) that gives it a kind of orange look on some spots--similar to the Pearl President Fiber Glass shells.

Posted on 17 years ago

Yes, from what I was told, and I do not remember when, was that Ludwig did this basically to get rid of all of the Vistalite shells they had.

Chrome was popular and clear vistalites were not.

Ludwig did similar things with their black cortex wrap over some now rare and popular finishes.

Which Ludwig badge do they have?

David

Posted on 17 years ago

Quoted post

Which Ludwig badge do they have? David

Olive and Blue.

Posted on 17 years ago

There's a website called Vistalites.com devoted solely to acrylic drums. In the brief history section Andy Youell writes:

"Ludwig produced a number of kits with solid white Vitstalite shells wrapped in Chrome. This option was already available with wooden shelled kits and the steel shelled drums were also selling well at this point. However, instead of this option being launched to capitalise on the unique sound of the acrylic shells, the 'Chome over Vistalite' kits were simply the result of an administrative error which resulted in a triple order of white shells being placed. The solid white (and black) kits weren't selling well and Ludwig had a pile of shells to get rid of. They were wrapped in chrome and sold to anybody strong enough to lift them!"

John

Posted on 16 years ago

I remember hearing that as well, having vista shells covered in the more popular chrome wrap. Wouldn't this be a sort of rare kit being a clear shell being wrapped or no??

Posted on 16 years ago

From what I've read,the reason for this is:the(outsourced) shells were(accidentally) not made to spec,they were too thin.The reason for the chrome wrap was to reinforce the shell.Ludwig was stuck with them,so they had to do something.I've also heard, when the glue holding the wrap on gives out,the shell will slide on out.Be careful.

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here