Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

1970's TAMA Superstar bought new

I have a set of 5 piece TAMA "mahogany" semi-gloss finish drums w/toning mufflers & Zildjian's that I bought new in 1981 from the basement of Wedgel's Pawn in Denver. They sat unplayed for 30+ years and now I am drumming again. Were these made in the 1970s? Are they vintage, or just "used" drums? How do you upload an image?

On ebay I see a lot of 70's/80's "cherry wine" high gloss finish for sale without the mufflers, which I believe are not quite the quality of the earlier version of natural wood finish.

Thank you,

Craig

Posted on 8 years ago

I would love to see these. Yeah I would call them vintage. If there's a desire for them and they're 30+ years old they're in the club. :)

Just click the paperclip icon and browse your photos to upload.

The greatest gift you can give your family and the world is a healthy you. - Joyce Meyer
Posted on 8 years ago

Craig,

Welcome to VDF. Good to know you've gotten back to drumming. Pictures are the best way to get answers... badges, lugs, and mounting pieces... Pictures please!

Wanted: Pearl President floor tom in Golden Grain wrap and rack tom in Tiger Eye (root beer) wrap.
Posted on 8 years ago

I may have the rest set up soon, but a few images here (image didn't work, see next post). I am interested in finding a matching 14 x 14 or 16 x 18 floor tom with mufflers. A Gretsch, Ludwig, or Slingerland would work too.

Thank you,

Craig

Posted on 8 years ago

OK this pic worked...

1 attachments
Posted on 8 years ago

Sorry about my lack of knowledge, but I do not see the Superstar's listed under Japanese drums. Where were these made?

At the time that I bought them all drums were produced with heavier duty hardware than before, and with boom cymbal stands available. I believe Pearl may have been the first with more durable hardware. Also Slingerland in the early 1970's had a great hi-hat and with tripod cymbal stand bottoms. I thought that TAMA had the best all around hardware options when I bought these.

Thank you,

Craig

Posted on 8 years ago

Most likely Japan, I think on the emblem it should say "Made in Japan"

I had a kit of those I bought for resale purposes from a studio that went out of business, I should have kept them. They are really great sounding drums, a nice alternative to the 60's stuff. I'd like to track down a super maple kit cheap one day.

Posted on 8 years ago

You are so right, the tag has Made in Japan right on it. I have a serial number of 90435 on a tom. Hopefully I can find some data to know what year they were made.

A set of the first generation Superstar's would be a good buy. However I do not see many totally intact sets that are all original with the matching stands and pedals.

I recall when TAMA began making nicer sets and Wayne Newton's drummer and I think also Billy Cobham were in the sales brochures.

Posted on 8 years ago

IdealA,

In order to date your set specifically, you need to disclose whether or not your kit has reinforcing rings or not inside the shell. I am guessing not, since you have second-generation mufflers showing. Rerings, satin, and 1st gen mufflers? That would be 4ply, 76-78. No rerings, lacquer, and no mufflers on the toms? Than would be 6 ply, 1981 and newer. The in-between years (78-80) were transitional - there are examples of satin without rerings, etc. The mufflers stayed in the snares for a few years longer than the toms, to about 1983.

Send us an inside picture.

John

John/Levelpebble

Tama Superstar 81 Aqua bop
Rogers Cleveland BDP (x2), Silver bop, Champagne, Black/Gold Duco, WMP, Blue sparkle; Dayton Red Onyx;
Camco Oaklawn 12 14 20 5x14 Tuxedo WMP
LW 59 SC Blue Sparkle, WMP
WFL Gold Sparkle SC, WMP Compacto
Gretsch 49/50 Broadkaster WMP
Fibes Copper Forte
Remo MasterEdge Bop, Gold Crown, Mondo
Slingerland Conway Black Satin
70's MIJ Del Ray, my first and fav ok I'm lying here
Way Too Many Snares, She Says
Posted on 8 years ago

Try this link:

http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/anniversary/