Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

1970s Star snare drum

Hi all,

Found a nice little score last week. This appears to be an early 70s Star 5x14 in what I think is their Gray Marine Pearl, with gray painted interior. The only thing missing is the badge unfortunately. The finish and tensioning butt style are featured in the 1967 catalog, but that compound lever strainer doesn't appear anywhere that I've found. Since that strainer carried over to some of the early Tama snares in 1973 or so, I'm dating this instrument at 1972. Based on even chrome wear and the lack of any extra holes, it appears to be all original. The "pre-set" style muffler seems to be missing a top knob, which is no biggie. I'll need to pack the lugs and do a little clean up but this thing already sounds really cool. $50 delivered to my backyard, and she even threw in a Pearl snare stand! Very interesting model with that strainer! Any other input from the Star experts is certainly welcome - thanks all!

thejohnlec
Ohio Valley
Posted on 7 years ago

I have the same snare with a different strainer. I also have parts for that strainer - which all research points to Star all the way.

Good sounding snare I recall - I used mine for a Beatles Tribute gig not long ago......great woody tone.

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Posted on 7 years ago

Hello,

This is not a Star made drum - but indeed it is one of the very early Tama snare drums.

The butt end was in place at Star and Tama, but:

the snare lever was never used at Star - under Tama at first (and only).

The damper version ('one touch tone control') came up around 1972 (at the latest Star drums) and was used at Tama snare drums for a certain time lateron as well.

Cheers, Ralf

Vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de
Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here