Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

1970's Recco Kit

Found this Recco kit on CL. I had no idea what it was, but it was bundled with some Norma drums. It was covered in grime and the lady I bought it from said her brother was the original owner. I think its early 70's, but correct me if I'm wrong. This was my first resto, and it was basically a clean and polish. I was amazed at how great the blue sparkle wrap looks, so there was no way I was going to change it. Luckily for me all the drums were there, 22,13,16,14. Only thing missing was the cymbal arm. I did repaint the hoops. A fresh set of heads and this thing is begging to played. Definitely a dry sounding kit, would be perfect for jazz or maybe some indy rock.

5 attachments
149.5 kB
151.1 kB
118.4 kB
139 kB
137.2 kB
Posted on 8 years ago

Sweet looking kit !!

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 8 years ago

Beautiful condition! Loving the color.

From a distance the lugs look kind of Ludwig and also doing the bowtie looking thing for the snare drum. Nice score mlow75!

Posted on 8 years ago

I remember this kit from a few months ago. Really turned out great! I've got the same snare drum, which is actually a Rogers clone! The lugs are like taking 2 Beavertails and putting them together. Strainer, butt and the tall profile hoops were definitely copied from Rogers. Need I say any more about the muffler?!

Thanks for posting your Recco kit!

-Mark

5 attachments
75.1 kB
75.6 kB
78.3 kB
73.6 kB
Posted on 8 years ago

Great looking kit mlow75 and great looking snare Mark. All totally classic. Quite a thing too that two of those snare drums have been preserved and we get to see them on this forum. Very unusual and, as Mark says, the knock-off on Rogers is near to the point of patent infringement, especially the strainer, butt and tone control! Lugs are really cool.

Posted on 8 years ago

That's in incredible condition. Lovely colour.

40's Slingerland Radio King WMP
60's Ludwig Downbeat Silver Spark
70's Ludwig Super Classic White Marine
60's Gretsch RB Champaigne Spark
70's Rogers Big R Black
90's Sonor Hilite (Red maple)
00's DW Collectors Broken Glass
00's DW Jazz Series Tangerine Glass
10's DW Collectors (Acrylic) Matt Black Wrap
10's PDP Concept Wood Hoop kit (Maple)
Proud ambassador of the British Drum Company
Posted on 8 years ago

Thanks for the comment guys! Yes, Mark, this is the same kit I posted about a few months ago. Here is a before pic and a few closer pics of the lugs. The kick lugs are definitely different from the tom lugs, the kick are full cast lugs where the tom lugs almost look like they were stamped. I think that due to screw mounts on the inside of them. Also pictured on the bass drum lug pic is the worst blemish on the whole kit, a little scratch, probably about 3/4" long. The only other thing a little off it is the snare throw, it can be a bit hard to get it in the up position, so I will take it apart and see if I can't get it moving a little better.

4 attachments
Posted on 8 years ago

Oh, and that little bubble in the wrap on the kick drum lug photo, that is stiff, so there is no way to flatten it out without destroying the wrap. There are several of them on the kick, but after a while you don't even notice them anymore...adds character.:)

Posted on 8 years ago

That wrap has aged nicely!! Sweet set!!

Cheers

1976 Ludwig Mach 4 Thermogloss 26-18-14-14sn
1978 Ludwig Stainless 22-22-18-16-14-13-12 c/w 6-8-10-12-13-14-15-16-18-20-22-24 concert toms
1975 Sonor Phonic Centennials Metallic Pewter 22-16-13-12-14sn (D506)
1971 Ludwig Classic Bowling Ball OBP 22-16-14-13
1960's Stewart Peacock Pearl 20-16-12-14sn
1980`s Ludwig Coliseum Piano Black 8x14 snare
1973 Rogers Superten 5x14 & 6.5x14 COS snares
1970`s John Grey Capri Aquamarine Sparkle 5x14 snare
1941 Ludwig & Ludwig Super 8x14 snare
Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here