Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

1970s Pearl snare restored

Hi all,

I finished restoring this snare this past week and I'm pleased with the results. It's a straight up 5x14 steel shell (according to the magnet), model 4515 from what I can tell from the online catalogs, with the Gladstone strainer and standard butt. I gigged it this weekend and was pleasantly surprised at the ballsy low mids this thing has (similar to my early 70s Supraphonic), along with a nice yet subtle bite on the high end - a combination that I did not expect from a steel shell. It was versatile through many styles, responsive and dynamic. That beautiful Gladstone strainer is smooth as silk and looks so dope! Note that the knob in the picture is where the internal muffler was - I remove the mufflers and replace them with cabinet knobs from Lowe's because I don't like the way those empty holes look. :)

There is also no knurling in between the center bands that run around the shell. Does anyone know if that was limited to some different models or perhaps a specific period of time?

Will be trying it out in some different venues in the coming weeks, but this was definitely a nice surprise and a real joy to play - thanks all!

thejohnlec
Ohio Valley
Posted on 7 years ago

Here are the pics - had a little trouble uploading because of file size I guess.

2 attachments
thejohnlec
Ohio Valley
Posted on 7 years ago

Very nice! The cabinet knobs are a nice touch.

-Erik
______
Early '70's Slingerland New Rock #50 in blue agate (20-16-13-12)
Late '50's WFL Swingster/Barrett Deems in black/gold Duco
'70's Slingerland Gene Krupa Sound King COB
'76 Ludwig Supraphonic
early '70's Ludwig Acrolite
'80's Ludwig Rocker II 6 1/2" snare
Rogers Supreme Big "R" hi hat
Posted on 7 years ago

I'd guess the second round of there drums had no knurling. Mine is an earlier one with knurling but otherwise identical.

Posted on 7 years ago

thejohnlec!

NICE job on this one! In addition ... I did a bunch of research on this drum's brother, the PEARL B4514 which is the COB variant, as I have one which was THE Stewart Copeland snare of choice for most all his Police recordings and tours. Anyway ... teverson-sr is correct on the "knurling" happening on the earlier models. In researching/dating mine, I found both these models in the 1973 PEARL catalog. There's a nice shot of their then 3 piece set which has the STEEL shell 4514 snare, and you can see the "knurling" around the center bead. That did indeed disappear in later models. I'll attach a pic out of the catalog. The COB model .. B4514 .. always seemed to have just the three rings with no knurling in the center. Also, you may know this?, but ... PEARL snare drums with TWO rings were steel, and three were brass. This seems to remain pretty consistent, although like so many other things, there may be an exception here or there! I'll attach the pic out of my catalog as well as one of my late 70's PEARL B4514/Stewart Copeland, with the CAST batter hoop ala Stewart! I also have the OEM PEARL triple flanged batter hoop too of course!

Tommyp

Posted on 7 years ago

More love for 70's Pearl this week! I dig yours & your assessment of it. I have the same snare (albeit slight differences) as TommyP's, shown above. They also have surprisingly ballsy low mids, as you put it. Cranked up it's mr. Copeland, but in a medium tuning it's warm & fatter than one would expect. And yeah, the Gladstone strainer is a thing of beauty! Hands down my favourite I like to place it around 6 o'clock so it's easy to engage with either hand while playing.

1964 Ludwig Champagne Super Classic
1970 Ludwig Blue Oyster Super Classic
1977 Rogers Big R Londoner 5 ebony
1972/1978 Rogers Powertone/Big R mix ebony
60's Ludwig Supersensitive
Pearl B4514 COB snare ( the SC snare)
Pearl Firecracker
PJL WMP maple snare
Odds & Sods

Sabians, Paistes, Zildjians, Zyns, UFIPs, MIJs etc
Item may be subject to change!
Posted on 7 years ago

I once saw this snare, or possibly one just like it, go for peanuts..

Seller definitely did not know what he had..Should have picked it up myself..

Dah, well..

Posted on 7 years ago

I agree the COS pearl is a great snare drum. I actually prefer it over the COB. Having owned both over the years. I still have my Tama COS kingbeat which is such a great all round snare drum. I still find it hard finding another snare of the 70's with a better all round sound.

Posted on 7 years ago

All,

Thanks for the responses and the great extra information - very helpful and much appreciated!

thejohnlec
Ohio Valley
Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here