Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.05219%

1970’s Fibes in Powder Blue

My Fibes kit I bought and tidied up last year:

24 x 14"

13 x 9"

16 x16"

14 x 5" (snare not pictured)

Originally these were brushed copper but half the kit had been painted (badly) and the other half sanded back to steel. The glue holding the wraps on had let go so I re-wrapped them in powder blue!

Had no badges left on it and the original hardware was missing so not really worth much but it looks and sounds to my liking.

Enjoy.

3 attachments
Posted on 10 years ago

I just LOVE "different" and this kit certainly is! Thanks for sharing the pics. BTW ... Just wondering if you installed the kickport? Did you notice a significant difference in the sound quality after doing so?

Again ... GREAT looking kit!

Posted on 10 years ago

My favorite color. Nice!

The greatest gift you can give your family and the world is a healthy you. - Joyce Meyer
Posted on 10 years ago

Thanks, didn't notice a big difference really. But makes micing easier. Probably more noticeable in front of the kit.

Posted on 10 years ago

I love the look of this kit and i`ve never seen this wrap color before-nice choice and they just look amazing!!

Wayne

1967 Rogers Cleveland Champagne Sparkle
1967/68 Rogers Dayton Champagne Sparkle
1966 Rogers cob 7 Line Dynasonic Snare.
1967 Rogers "Humberto Morales" Timbales.
1980 Ludwig B/O badge 14x 6.5 Black Beauty Snare.
1980 Ludwig B/O badge Red Cortex
1988 Sonor "Horst Link" HLD 590 14x8 Bronze Snare
Posted on 10 years ago

Great looking kit! Where the heck did you find powder blue wrap?

Cam

"If we can't be free we can at least be cheap" -FZ
Posted on 10 years ago

Thanks guys. The "wrap" is actually self adhesive vinyl designed for the car enthusiast market. It conforms around curves etc. Anyway my budget got blown on the kit and shipping so I took a punt on this stuff. Plus they had the colour I wanted :D

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/decals-stickers/other/auction-706876899.htm

Posted on 10 years ago

Quick Update: I have been battling with tuning and tone on the 13" Tom ever since I got the kit. After re-cutting the bearing edges (twice) and still getting no "tone" I decided to check one last thing...

After giving up for a while I decided to measure the depth of the drum at various points and discovered that the batter head was 5mm deeper on one side than the other! the skins weren't parallel to one another and of course tuning was nearly impossible and the drum always sounded choked.

Now, after squaring up the drum and recutting the edge the drum sings like it should have all along. Sooooooo...

1. NEVER assume a Fibes (or any vintage drum) is/was actually dimensionally correct in the first place.

2. If you have a drum that isn't sounding/tuning right, measure the depth and ensure it is even all the way round - as well as checking out of round and bearing edges etc.

This is all probably not news to the pros but I have been annoyed by this for years and am feeling a bit dumb for not checking it.

Live and learn I suppose.

Posted on 5 years ago

From fibesnz

Thanks guys. The "wrap" is actually self adhesive vinyl designed for the car enthusiast market. It conforms around curves etc. Anyway my budget got blown on the kit and shipping so I took a punt on this stuff. Plus they had the colour I wanted :Dhttp://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/decals-stickers/other/auction-706876899.htm

Very nice...I also like to make my own wrap. I found a place near me that sells 4'x 8' sheets of super glossy plastic for $17. I then paint one side and wrap each drum using double sided tape. Here is an example.

1 attachments
Keep fixing them up...
Posted on 4 years ago

Home made wrap. Powder blue is sooo nice IMO.

1 attachments
Keep fixing them up...
Posted on 2 years ago
Action Another action Something else here