Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.86013%

~ 1970 Ludwig Thermo-Gloss Walnut stain ~

I need your help again...

I just acquired an “average condition” a one-owner 1970 thermo-gloss walnut stain 3ply Ludwig Jazzette kit (a 12x18 bass, 8x12 tom and 14x14 floor). And because of its heavy use the set is in remarkable condition to say the least.

The good news is… I see NO major modifications done to the set other than a small ugly 2” round decorative badge affixed on top of the bass drum where the Blue/Olive badge is located. The previous owner told me he put this funky plate on them just a few years after he brought them to keep the rail consolette nut/bolt from damaging the thin shell every time he moved them. He said one time was enough so apparently this must have been a common problem with rails during transportation?

The bad news is… some thirty years later the previous owner tried to refinish the shells himself. Up close they look bad. He applied mahogany stain over what was left of the factory thermo-gloss walnut finish. Basically he did a poor job and did not tape off the shells to prevent stain from getting inside… so the shells have streaks inside on the clear maple.

The date stamps (Nov 6, 1970) and badges (812613, 812769 and 812xxx) were not damaged although he removed one B/O from the bass drum to install that ugly plate. He told me at first he glued the ugly plate on but it popped off about a year later so he then drilled two very small holes to keep it in place. Oh no... extra hole!!! Thank God they are not from some big ole ugly MIJ tom mount!!!

Okay, here's my PROBLEM… should, I restore them back to as close as possible to 1970 thermo-gloss walnut stain… OR should, I just wrap them? Who in the vintage drum world knows how to restore thermo-bloss? I understand the collectors value on these are long gone BUT they are still what they are... a 1970 Ludwig Jazzett matching numbers set.

So, if you go to my photo site you can see what I’m talking about. HELP, I need your option please. ENJOY the photos!

http://s1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag142/Osahead2/Nov%201970%20Ludwig%20Jazzette/#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ16

~ A true Gretsch & Camco fanatic ~
Posted on 11 years ago

I'm confused. Among the photos I see one which shows a rail mount next to a repair which has been done after a pole style mount was fitted, later removed, and poorly filled. Is that the 12x18 with the decorative plaque removed? Or is that one of the other bass drums which had a pole mount fitted then removed? Or some other sort of mount? Or some other drum?

[IMG]http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag142/Osahead2/Nov%201970%20Ludwig%20Jazzette/IMAG0424_zpsa2175d4d.jpg[/IMG]

I'd recommend that you leave them in wood and do a good finish on the mahogany rather than wrap them. It's harder work, but I prefer the look of mahogany myself. Just a personal choice.

Posted on 11 years ago

Ugly, ugly, ugly.... this photo shows where the plate was glued and later drilled to the bass drum near the grommet hole.

Take real good look at the other photos I placed on my photo page again. I have one posted there showing the inside of the bass drum shell and you will notice that their is NO exta holes from any drilled tom mount on this kit... that ugly glob you see is very HARD GLUE!

I will take some more photos from the inside of the 12x18 shell showing the grommet area. The small crack will be visible.

Now under that ugly glue mess is a small crack from where the rail consolette punched through the 3 ply at some point... I was thinking about applying thin maple veneer sheets to the drums then have it refinished.

Posted on 11 years ago

You'll be adding another layer with the wrap and increasing the outside diameter of the shells. Besides, in order to do a pro wrap you'd have to sand the shells down to the original stained surface. I'd refinish and recapture the majority of the kits collector value!

The Band

1 attachments
Never play it the same way once.
Posted on 11 years ago

I am wondering if a B/O replacement badge will cover those 2 small holes?

Also I would just refinish the whole set. Sand it down to the Mahogany. Maybe treat it with some tung oil and then 4 or 5 coats of Spar polyurethane.

After a refinish and a replacement badge for the Bass drum I bet you won't even notice there were two small holes and that medallion was ever even there. That's a nice set and that glue glob on the bass drum would bug me to death. A nice refinish job will look great. Just my 2 cents worth.

Posted on 11 years ago

From vibes

I am wondering if a B/O replacement badge will cover those 2 small holes?

Good thought. Hard to estimate from photos, but Mr Osahead2 has everything he needs to make the measurements. Even good lighting and measuring tape based on the photos.

From vibes

Also I would just refinish the whole set. Sand it down to the Mahogany. Maybe treat it with some tung oil and then 4 or 5 coats of Spar polyurethane.

This is what Ludwig Mahogany looks like just sanded down and the treated with tung oil. Much lighter than the original finish Ludwig used back in the day. But pretty. The holes are for the P83 strainer which wasn't back on at the time of the photo.

[img]http://black.net.nz/drums/ludfinish.JPG[/img]

Posted on 11 years ago

[IMG]http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag142/Osahead2/Nov%201970%20Ludwig%20Jazzette/1106121821_zps8c7fd16e.jpg[/IMG]

Hey thanks guys so far with all the good suggestions... it sounds like my best option is NOT to wrap the Jazzette kit.

So I will take the 3 ply shells back to the original finish as possible. The long hours ahead of sanding should pay off in the long run....

Above is better detail pic's of the problem area on the bass drum.... My next question; how do I remove that nasty glue mess? My first thought, is to try sanding it smooth before, I try to pick at it... right now that spot is very uneven and bumpy so I'll try to make it level and add a fake wood grain looking pattern to help blend-in. OR do I get a very thin sheet of veneer to patch it?

Posted on 11 years ago

Happy ancient thread revival day!!

Question on what the interiors would have been stained with on the Thermogloss kicks that were stained at the factory?

[IMG]https://imgur.com/PZpttYW[/IMG]

[IMG]https://imgur.com/tXMXIuk[/IMG]

Edit: Anyone know why my pics aren't showing up?

Posted on 3 years ago
Action Another action Something else here