Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.45720%

1970-1971 Maple Gretsch Kit

I need help on determining the value of a 1970-1971 maple and gumwood Gretsch drum kit. The kit is a 12-14-20 setup with the stopsign shaped Gretsch badges on them. The kit has like a walnut finish, and it has the original cymbal mount on the bass drum. I was told that this kit was made in either 1970 or 1971. I don't have any pictures of the kit, but it is in very nice condition. If anyone knows anything about this kit, or what it could possibly be worth, that would be a huge help.

Thanks,

bigd

Posted on 16 years ago

I finally got some pictures of the kit, so here they are. If anyone can tell me anything about this kit it would be greatly appreciated. The guy who owns it said that the previous owner, who happened to be the original owner, was an old lady who played these drums at church and she kept them at the church all the time. This is why the drums have managed to stay in such nice condition. I'm just curious if anyone could tell me exactly what year this kit may have been made in, and what it could be worth.

Thanks

Posted on 16 years ago

My first set, which I still own is a 22,12,13,16 Gretsch set in the same color as yours. Mine is a bit more faded and scratched amd I always thought that mine was a '72-'73. I thought i read an article that said that rosewood was introduced around 1972. The gretsch drums that you and I have are baldwin era Gretsch.

Baldwin bought Gretsch in 1967 and moved operations from Brooklyn NY to somewhere in Kansas. I think gretsch had a few fires over the years destroying a lot of thier records. It seems like a lot of people have less respect for the Baldwin Gretsch saying that QC was out the window. I personally love my set and have never had a problem with it.

I think my set is pretty run of the mill size wise but those smaller sizes you have plus the excelent condition should make your set very desireable. I would guess at least $1500.00 and up.

I will never get rid of mine as I got it in june of 1983 when I was 12. The mounting hardware sucks so I use the 12 inch tom in a snare stand. The set sounds great though!

"wfl does not stand for world football league!"
Posted on 16 years ago

Hi folks my first post here -

the pics of your walnut gretsch set made my day! thanks. keep them.

the first old gretsch kit I bought in 95 are exactly like these (minus cymbal holder), sizes, colour everything. I still have them.

I collected quite a lot vintage gretsch sets over the years, round badge and all, but when it comes to sound, these early 70s lacquered drums with the tiny tom holder and spurs, and the "rounded" bearing edges on toms are in my opinion the best of all the gretsch eras. tone and sustain like no other drums I use.

of course it´s nice to have stylish satin flames and sparkle RB kits, but as a working drumkit this is my favourite. If these drums don´t sound good in a room, no other will do better.

regards twotone

Posted on 16 years ago

Great looking kit, the condition looks amazing from the pictures. Early/mid 70s as others have mentioned. I think $1500-$2000 would be a good estimate of value, the later end because of how nice of shape it is in. If I had the dough I would make you an offer, but I would reccomend holding on to that set forever.

Posted on 16 years ago

Hi,

You do not see many intact versions of that tom mount.

Sweet drums. I expect they sound terrif,

Parick

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here