Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.85804%

1969 Ludwig Who Knows What Model

ALL ORIGINAL SUPPOSEDLY. DOES BASS DRUM WRAP LOOK RIGHT[WHERE THE SEAM LINES UP]? I HAVE SERIAL NUMBERS THAT ARE AS FOLLOWS SNARE 767439, BASS 807795,FLOOR TOM 807656, 12" TOM ON THE KICK IS 809813, 13" TOM ON THE KICK IS 809806. 10' TOM 809813 12" TOM 809806 i BELIEVE THESE ARE ALL 1969 BLUE AND OLIVE BADGES? 13" TOM 1612916 14" TOM 10612833 COULD BE 1978 OR 79? COMES WITH ORIGINAL LUDWIG CASES IN GREAT CONDITION. EVERYTHING IN PICTURE LOOKS LIKE LUDWIG STANDS EVEN THE KICK PEDAL IS A SPEED KING. WHAT IS A KIT LIKE THIS WORTH? ALSO THE BASS DRUM IS A 22X14 AND THE MAIN FOUR PIECE KIT IS A LIGHTER SILVER OR WHITE SPARKLE THAN THE NEWER TOMS THEY ARE A DARKER SILVER SPARKLE

3 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]It's a bit of an unusual location for that seam, on a cortex wrap. Is it the ONLY seam on the bass drum ?

Here's a quick test way to see if you have a rewrapped drum:

Take the heads off of 2 or 3 of the shells of the kit.

Take a look at the edge condition or where the wrap ends near the bearing edge.

Is it consistent on all shells ? Or does one shell differ (i.e. maybe one shell has the wrap ending 1/8" short of where the edge is, etc.; or maybe 3 shells have the wrap ending 1/8" away, but the fourth shell has it 3/8" away, etc..)

It is very hard to actually duplicate how the factory wrap ended on the edge condition on those old drums. They usually end almost flush, and are quite feathered over time to the point where there is very little"lip" between the wrap edge and the actual shell surface.

So, that would be a give-away. Also, is the cortex faded equally on all 3 drums ? It's hard to match a faded cortex, so if they are the same hue, then the assumption would be they are all original.

Hope this helps.[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks Jaye,

I am driving 3 .5 hours to get this kit. The other toms have the wrap tucked into the ply I tried my best to explain to the guy so he could shoot me more pic's. He has had this kit for 30 yrs and does not play out with it he says he just never got into playing as much. He also claims it has only been moved when he bought a new house a few years back. So it all sounds really good I have always wanted a 69 kit that is the year I was born. 30 years ago he bought this kit from a pro drummer. why would the sparkle be so light in contrast to the other 78 toms?

Thanks again

Posted on 15 years ago

nice kit... the wrap may be different from the different eras, plus, fade happens with time. Ten years. Nice snare. I'd pay a grand, maybe $1200.00. The earlier drums are three ply. The newer are either three ply with reinforcing rings or six ply. Better if 3 ply to match the set.

Posted on 15 years ago

Hey,

The bass wrap is not suspect due to the position. I can't speak for anything else about it. I've had several Ludwig bass drums in the late 60's to early 70's that had the bass wrap in that position. They were woikin' hard back then in Chicago. Late hours, you know. Anyway, I wouldn't pay much mind to the location of the wrap. It was not unusual.

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Hehehe..at least they didn't do what I did, once....drilled the vent hole and badged the bass drum on the side instead of the top; this after the spur holes had been drilled.

Yes, I didn't have my coffee that morning.....[/COLOR]DOHCoffee Break2

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here