Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.46555%

1969 Jazzette

Here is the 1969 Jazzette that someone's (brett013's) wife found at a yard sale for THIRTY dollars. I offered him a bit more for them and now everyone is happy!Burger Kin

The condition of the drums is excellent and they sound great. It took me nearly a week to get them clean, but the grime seemed to have preserved them!flowers2

So, this is the second red sparkle Jazzette kit I own now. I have twins! The other one is a '67 (pictures on this forum somewhere) and has the white painted interiors and BB mufflers. This 1969 version has the clear maple interiors which have mellowed into that beautiful honey-gold color and the rotary style mufflers. Another difference between the '67 and the '69 is that the wrap is no longer tucked into the scarf joint on the '69. As soon as the Diplomat heads I ordered get here, I will trade them out and do an "A/B" comparison between the two kits to try and detect any sonic differences.

More photos will follow. In the meantime, please enjoy these!Burger Kin [IMG]http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u89/O-Lugs/1969Jazzettefrontright.jpg[/IMG]

1 attachments
"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 17 years ago

Here is another view:

[IMG]http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u89/O-Lugs/1969Jazzettefrontleft.jpg[/IMG]

Posted on 17 years ago

and another...

[IMG]http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u89/O-Lugs/1969Jazzetterearabove.jpg[/IMG]

Posted on 17 years ago

and a close-up of the snare drum:

[IMG]http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u89/O-Lugs/1969Jazzetterear.jpg[/IMG]

Posted on 17 years ago

BTW...The kit came with the SpeedKing, The SpurLok "Big Beat" hi-hat pedal, the flat base snare stand and also the flat base cymbal stand! The SpeedKing was completely "frozen" with dessicated grease. I literally took everything apart, extreme-cleaned and then re-built every piece. Every single spring, screw thread and washer was detailed!

The only problem was that one of the bass drum hoops was cracked and it needed to be re-glued and clamped...which I did. Other than that, cleaning and lubricating was all that was needed.

oh, yeah...the P-83 was bent and I had to completely dis-assemble it and put it in a vice and ever-so-carefully bend it back into shape. It works great, now...with just a slight wobble in the tension screw...but I didn't want to be torquing on it too much because the dang things to replace sell for nearly $100.00 on Ebay now!

some rust...some scratches...a few chrome flakes and a little missing paint from the SpeedKing...bass drum hoops display the all-too-typical chew marks from the pedal's clamp...but completely original and definitely a factory-issued set according to date stamps and badge numbers all in the 67.... series. I'm also positive the pedals and stands were sold together as well. The only way it would be "more" complete is if I had the second cymbal stand and a red sparkle cannister throne!

OOOoh, yeah...one other interesting note:

When I went to put them back together and tune them up, I noticed that the lug screws were bottoming out against the lug inserts of the 8 X 12 tom tom!...in other words, I couldn't screw them in any further because the collars on the lug screws would meet the lug insert before the head could achieve enough tension...and yet, those MUST have been the original lug screws that were sold with the drum because everything else was completely original (I suspect it was one of Ludwig's flubs) I couldn't figure out a solution until I compared the lug screws on my early 70's Supra...which had shorter collars. So, I replaced the original lug screws with the shorter-collared lug screws and now everything works as intended. phew!

Posted on 17 years ago

Yes, the yard sale set...I remember....the tears are still not dry. Beautiful resto. Gorgeous pics. A set to be proud of.

Posted on 17 years ago

Absolutely, positively, drop dead gorgeous. Very, very nice work. I can almost hear them...can't wait to hear the comparison!

http://www.classicvintagedrums.com
Posted on 17 years ago

They look beautiful. Good job Lugs!:)

Posted on 17 years ago

Thanks, fellows! -especially brett013 (and his wife!) and also to this wonderful forum (David)!

It was a labor of love to put this kit back into proper shape, but it now lives again! :)

Someone asked me if that was it now -if I was done buying drum kits. I said that I was....unless another Jazzette was to come along!

Posted on 17 years ago

Very nice set indeed. I just picked up my first jazzette this past weekend. It is an early 70's silver sparkle 18,12,14 and I got it with a 1966 jazzfest. The 70's drums have the granite paint interior and the set is in pretty decent shape. I just reheaded mine and am looking foward to playing them now. I probobly should do as you did and totally clean mine but I think I may just play them for now. I will post pics soon.

-Kurt

"wfl does not stand for world football league!"
Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here