Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.45929%

1968 Supraphonic Rare 6.5"x14" Keystone

Purchased on eBay a couple of weeks ago. Apart from some rust on hoops, some mild pitting on lugs, and some scratching on the shell, the bulk of the filth was fingerprints and grime. I simply used Vater Drum Polish (which contains Carnauba wax) and two rags - applicator and polisher.

This was a studio drum used at Underground studio in Flushing NY. Apparently, it was owned by the Ramones, who used it, together with Dee Dee's bass, as barter for recording time. The studio no longer exists. Drum was bought from the liquidation of assets by studio owner's family.

It sounds phenomenal. Like a standard depth 60s supra, but more grand in every respect - great depth, broad tone, bottom end, fat backbeat tuned low, cracking rimshot tuned high, and records like a dream. I feel so lucky to own it.

Posted on 15 years ago

I have a 1968 Keystone Supraphonic as well. One word - AWESOME!

Funny story - I found mine in Memphis, Tenn. when I was on the road around 1987 at a small pawn/antique shop. I asked the shop owner how much he wanted for the shell, it was just the shell, no rims, no heads, nothing. He said, "I'll take $50.00 for that piece of crap." SOLD!! I don't think he knew what he had, nor did I at the time. The date Oct. 12, 1968 is stamped on the inside. It's been my go to drum ever since then.

Peace

Ric

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here