Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

1968 Pearl Deluxe

Nice kit now that it's been cleaned up. Had lugs full of insects that died in about 1975, dust and grime from sitting in garages, basements and dusty corners for years on end. Looking good now though.

Interesting in that it has Birch/lauan shells with horizontal grain inner plies instead of the usual straight Lauan with vertical grain. Also has Slingerland style sticksaver hoops and Rogers copy tom mufflers.

1 attachments
Andrew

Golden Curtain
www.myspace.com/garagelandnz
Posted on 11 years ago

Excellent kit. How does it sound? I'm wondering where you could get authentic additional hardware. It looks like an amalgamation of several different styles.

Looks really cool. Thanks for posting.

Stephen

Vintage Drum Student
Posted on 11 years ago

Thanks Stephen. The original hardware for these kits was pretty ropey stuff so I just use later model MIJ stuff or my latest favorite, Premier Lokfast. Despite being in a fairly neglected state the only parts missing were a muffler knob and 1 tension rod.

It sounds pretty good, especially the Bass drum. All my other kits have 20" or smaller bass drums so it's nice to have the slightly deeper, richer tones of the 22. Here's a vid but it's fairly low quality.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6VapcPnmuw&feature=g-upl[/ame]

Andrew

Golden Curtain
Posted on 11 years ago

They really sound good Andrew. Were MIJ drums easy to get in NZ in those days? My modern recording kit (2002?) is a Pearl, and it is amazing. Good to know that they've been good drums for a long time. You did a great job on the restoration, and they look almost new.

Thanks again.

Stephen

Vintage Drum Student
Posted on 11 years ago

Yeah, we didn't get too many good American kits and only a few European kits it would seem. Much like America, we got quite a few MIJ kits it would seem.

I have an early 80s Pearl BLX that I've owned for 20 years. They are very high quality and built like a tank. These earlier kits are not as robust but they hold up well and can be made to sound very good. And to be fair, these old 60s kits have nearly always been used and abused by multiple young drummers over the years and it's amazing how they can still be brought back to life and still look so good. People can say all they like how poor quality the early MIJ kits are but the evidence I've found suggests otherwise. Cheaper woods sure but the lugs etc are tough as old boots.

Andrew

Golden Curtain
Posted on 11 years ago

Wow!!!

Those look and sound awesome!

Good job. Walking

www.macdrums.com
Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here