Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.45929%

1968 Ludwig Supraphonic 6.5 Keystone Badge!

Purchased on eBay a couple of weeks ago. Apart from some rust on hoops, some mild pitting on lugs, and some scratching on the shell, the bulk of the filth was fingerprints and grime. I simply used Vater Drum Polish (which contains Carnauba wax) and two rags - applicator and polisher.

This was a studio drum used at Underground studio in Flushing NY. Apparently, it was owned by the Ramones, who used it, together with Dee Dee's bass, as barter for recording time. The studio no longer exists. Drum was bought from the liquidation of assets by studio owner's family.

It sounds phenomenal. Like a standard depth 60s supra, but more grand in every respect - great depth, broad tone, bottom end, fat backbeat tuned low, cracking rimshot tuned high, and records like a dream.

Posted on 15 years ago

Wonderful drum. I've got a '69 keystone with a round-handled internal damper - must've been one of the very last keystones and I love it to death.

Apart from its obvious value as a snare, yours is probably massively collectable for any Ramone-ophile, of whom I'm sure there are many. I actually saw a Ramones museum in Berlin when I was there back in the summer (seriously - admittedly it was part of a cafe but there's demand out there).

Posted on 15 years ago

From Antipodes

Wonderful drum. I've got a '69 keystone with a round-handled internal damper - must've been one of the very last keystones and I love it to death. Apart from its obvious value as a snare, yours is probably massively collectable for any Ramone-ophile, of whom I'm sure there are many. I actually saw a Ramones museum in Berlin when I was there back in the summer (seriously - admittedly it was part of a cafe but there's demand out there).

Thanks for the info. My goal was to get the attention of anyone who likes to wax lyrical about these drums (as you have). I haven't heard another, but may get a new one to try a different head for studio work. During my last session, the engineer wouldn't let me change snares, despite my push for each track to have a different flavour! Admittedly, it suited everything. It has this ability to punch through every mix. When tracking, all I could really remark on was how incredibly loud it is. In the control room, it just hits you in the chest.

Though I don't doubt the authenticity of the story, I certainly wouldn't be able to ratify the truth for a Ramones collector. Maybe they would have heard of the studio and owner. Lucky for me it's simply the best snare I own!

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here