Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.66180%

1967 WMP Wood Shell DynaSonic Restoration

When this sought after treasure surfaced locally, I couldn't believe my eyes. A real live WMP wood shell DynaSonic that had been lounging in an attic for the last 20 years along with it's factory mates 20, 12, 13, 16 WMP Holiday kit. all of the tags are Cleveland and the serial on the Dyna is 9144., (Cleveland era).

The wood dyna only needed a good cleaning and the snare bridge cleaning and lube. The inside of the shell was as new with the gorgeous 5 ply maple shell shining through its nicely aged laquer. The wrap is vintage mellowed and matches the kit perfectly! The wrap is tght and as it should be...

The snare bridge needed the most work. I took it apart cleaned each screw and receiver, greased it lightly with lithium and it performs like new. The steel bridge protector plates are quite pitted and I will eventually replace them.

All of the hoops are not pitted and the plating is like new...check the photo! One bass hoop is missing as well as 8 bass T-rods.

I gigged this beauty last night and it's just awesome! The sound from that nicely aged shell is just this side of ecstasy...

The kit restoration will come in the new year.

Thanks to TommyP (Rogers expert) for all of his wisdom and insight.

Kelly

"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing..."
Posted on 14 years ago

Kelly, I am not a rogers guy, but that is a killer snare drum, and your entire kit find is truly the stuff, that is what keeps us all going and on the hunt, and you know the journey is almost as good as the drums we obtain, and as you, the restoration and care and feeding is as much fun as playing these old drums. major kudos.Cool1

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

Danny Seraphine used one like this on the Chicago Transit Authority album. Very cool!

Norm

1964 Slingerland Stage Band in Black Diamond Pearl
Posted on 14 years ago

Truly an amazing find. Locked away in hiding for all this time, and someone finds them and says, hmm Lets make a little Christmas change. Luck is truly on your side. Very nice find.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

Did you get the whole set or just the Dyna? If you don't mind, what did you pay for them?

Nicely done either way.

Posted on 14 years ago

I didn't know that about Chicago!

This thing under the lights is a sight to behold...all that chrome is sweeet..

The amazing thing is the whole kit was there minus the stands.

One more note on the strainer. I took the strainer apart to clean -relube it and good 'ol Joe Thompson who designed the "Swivo" strainer had simplicity in mind. Each part (only 3 moving parts) is heavy duty and nicely chromed. To top it off there is virtually no strain on the strainer because all it does is lift the snare bridge into place against the resonant head. When flipping the lever to engage the snare bridge I feel no tension at all on the lever. I'm used to playing a Supra and there is a definate resistance on the lever when engaging the snare. The DynaSonic is an incredible design...

A couple of years back I got lucky and found a nice Ludwig "Silver Anniversay" snare that had been hibernating for about 40 years, judging by the amount of dust that was on it. Still had the original snares form 1937!!

This stuff is out there to find,,,keep sniffin'

The matching WMP Cleveland kit which will be a nice winter resto project.

cheers!

Kelly

Posted on 14 years ago

Hey if it was dirt cheap just PM amosguy with the number... I just don't think I can stand to hear you got these incredible for drums for 150 bucks or something like that. Falling Do

Congrats... what wonderful drum to own and play!

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 14 years ago

Jim, I hear you.. I wish I had paid $150. but here's the latter story on this kit...

The former owner (person I bought it from) of this kit got it from a friend about 2 years ago as a gift to help his kids learn to play drums. The drums had been in storage for a number of years and unplayed.

They set up the kit in the basement for them to play. Don't worry, the basement was a nice dry finished rec. room. The kids lost interest about 6 month ago and stopped practicing.

The former owner had a hunch that these "old" drums may be worth looking into. He was smart enough to ask a few questions and discovered from help on this forum that he was the owner of a rather valuable piece of snare history!

Personally, I love the snare, knowing its background, how it came into being, It's good looks, and amazing playability and range. I don't plan o selling it because its a "Keeper".

I will post pics of the restored kit with the Dyna sitting faithfully by its side when all is ready. Parts missing are a 20" WMP bass hoop, claws and t-rods. Everthying else is present and accounted for..If anyone knows where I can come across these parts let me know.

Cheers!

Kelly

Posted on 14 years ago

K~this is what I was looking for, the pix on this post give me exactly what I am looking for. Again, these are truly stunning.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

Tommyp mentioned a type of laquer that was applied by Rogers on the DynaSonic. Urethane, I believe was unavailable at the time.

I'm not sure if the laquer has taken on this nice patina over time or if this is the natural color when applied on maple shells?

Cheers!

Kelly

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here