Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

1967 WMP Ludwig 20-12-16 Downbeat

One owner, 100% original and complete, Brass Keystone Badges, No pitting, I still have all receipts to prove provenance and dates! --- Museum Quality ---

I love the proportions of this combination: 20/12/16 + 5x14 Supra. I ordered this set from my drum teacher (Dave Bedell at The Drum Key in Springfield, MO) on 4/4/67. I had to mow a lot of yards at $3 each to pay my parents back.

There are a lot more "Before", "Progress" and "After" photos posted to my set on Flickr dot com. I broke down all 915 parts and cleaned each one in 2012. Now I've picked up my sticks again after decades of remission and am enjoying it immensely! Check out the 7/15/66 Supra which is unusually well preserved with absolutely no pitting.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30559980@N07/sets/72157629432619022/with/7078618507/

Note - the true color of the kit is somewhere between the "before" (without reso heads) & "after" photos. The reason is that the "before" was shot with only compact fluorescent lights in the attic space which collectively cast way too much green on the WMP. For the "after" shot, I replaced one bulb overhead with an LED lamp. In actuality there is an even amount of light matching "green marine" tint to all 3 shells that is common to the era.

TIP: different lamps can produce different results when photographing anything.

Posted on 11 years ago

Those are beautiful! Great job on them and cool documentation too. Enjoy~! :)

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 11 years ago

Classic beauties. Just gorgeous.

-Jeff

Posted on 11 years ago

Great pix , well done hanging on to those beauties for all these years.Clapping Happy2

Cam

"If we can't be free we can at least be cheap" -FZ
Posted on 11 years ago

very very sweet kit, thx for sharing it with us !

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 11 years ago

Beautiful kit! I plan on breaking down my 68's in the fall. What are some of the cleaning methods you used? They came out great.

Posted on 11 years ago

Thanks for the kind comments. At one point when I had just entered the working world and didn't play them very much I told my mom that I was thinking about selling the kit for some extra money. Without hesitation she replied "Oh no! Don't ever sell your drums". For once I listened to her and dropped the thought immediately. She seemed so sure of herself.

In early 2012 I once again considered selling them to "de-cumulate" (de-clutter the house). After all, I only played them maybe once a year. It was low hanging fruit. Even the captions under the "before" photo on Flickr indicated my intention was to clean up and sell so I joined 2 drum forums to learn what to do. Thankfully for me the market for vintage drums was depressed and I had too much fun cleaning them after work and hitting all the red lights on Memory Lane. Definitely not for sale now. I'm playing again.

All washers and screws were soaked in an oil bath to remove 4 1/2 decades of grime and any residual white "resocoat" paint stuck to the drum side of the washers. Then I used small Dremmel wire brushes or mandrells in my drill press to shine them - very tedious indeed and 'over the top' AR. I knew they'd never be seen again but I also knew that long after my stewardship was done, the kit needs to still look good when it turns 100, which it will with style.

Maguiar's Quick Wax spray (from Auto Zone) was used to clean the veneer.

A trusted staff member at Lone Star Percussion suggested Simichrome on the chromed metal. That came from a Woodcraft Supply store and was applied with a used sock, a collection of various shaped small nylon or brass brushes and/or Q-tips. A 2nd pass with another old sock further buffed and removed excess paste. Finally, I buffed each metal part with a microfiber cloth (3-pack from Wal-Mart). Hoard all of the small 5" x 7" thick aluminum foil "carry-out" pans you can find for the job.

The cymbals were rubbed down over the edge of the kitchen sink with a half lemon. It's not too acidic so almost all of the patina remained but the fingerprints, dust & grime disappeared. Then I buffed them with a microfiber cloth for a deep lustrous shine. I used cymbal cleaner 2 or 3 times in the first few years and let them mellow after that.

I'll post some more photos to Flickr this evening of the repainted bass drum hoops which are an interesting story in themselves if you read the captions.

Take lots of photos before, during and after. It might save you when trying to decide which washer goes on next when rebuilding a muffler assembly with over a dozen parts.

Really, really glad I listened to my mom.

Posted on 11 years ago

That's a real beauty! Was the 8x12 tom mount always located there? I only ask as typically the mount and the badge should have a panel between them instead of being right next to each other. Ludwig was cranking drums out by the hundreds in 1966 so I would'nt be a bit suprised if the set was drilled like that by accident and they just decided to send it anyway. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it that way and in fact Ludwig drills like that now. It's just one of those 60's anomilies that facinates me.

What made you decide to go with a 16" floor tom instead of the 14" floor that would have made this set a catalog downbeat? just curious. Again they are real beauties. I absolutely love Ludwig WMP.

"wfl does not stand for world football league!"
Posted on 11 years ago

To be honest, I'm pretty isolated from other drummers and drum sets other than my own set and on-line forums so your knowledge about the proper panels for the badge and mount placement is news to me. Interesting... I ordered the set via my local drum teacher/vendor but without any specific instructions to make it unusual. There are no mods whatsoever so this is just the way Ludwig threw it together. Being that the 12" tom is date stamped on 3/17/67 (St. Patrick's Day) in the middle of Chicago, my only theory is they had a few too many green beers at lunch. It's too bad the anomaly isn't worth as much as a mis-struck coin coming from the mint ($$$).

Why I bought a 16" in lieu of a 14" floor tom beats me. I was in 8th grade and probably the first one of my classmates to purchase a kit so I didn't know any better. Bigger is always better - right??? Dave Bedell, my drum teacher was the local jazz drummer guru so he probably influenced what I should buy based on his own personal preferences. One nice thing is that the entire kit nested together beautifully all in one bass drum case with all of the reso heads removed.

Dave: http://www.news-leader.com/article/20080704/NEWS01/807040364/Family-musicians-sound-off-late-drummer?nclick_check=1

Posted on 11 years ago

Wow! beautiful! How could you not want to play them all day long. I picked up my sticks about 2.5 years ago after a very long break. I now have a band Im playing with and love it.

Thanks!

Jeff C

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here