Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.26305%

1967 Ludwig Restoration

I've attached some shots of a 2002 restoration of a 1967 Ludwig Super Classic set with an additional Club Date tom.

The original kit was silver sparkle and sat in a basement for over a decade. By the time I was given the kit, all of the hardware (which was kept in an old golf bag!) was rusted and black with tarnish. Both base drum hoops were covered in some kind of adhesive fuzz and completely warped. The original wrap was a dull silver fading into an almost burnt orange. This was due to the set having been both in the sun alot and around smokers and smoky clubs.

I stripped the set down and sent the shells out to my friend Joe Marquardt at Hit Drum (www.hitdrum.com). Meanwhile, I went to work on the hardware, hoops, badges and lugs. The rust was removed with navel jelly and each part was first cleaned with CLR and then polished with MAAS. Missing parts were replaced with genuine Ludwig parts purchased at the Drum Show in St. Charles Illinois.

At Hit Drum we were originally were going to re-wrap the drums in Champagne sparkle, but we didn't have enough. So, I went for something a bit unusual, Pink sparkle! The major problem was replacing the BD hoops. Joe decided to reconstruct both hoops from scratch using the old hoops as a spec.

The finished results turned out great. I added the new LT126CS stands to complete the look. The drums sound fantastic and have been living it up since their rebirth.

Posted on 13 years ago

Nice job. Like the pink sparkle.

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here