Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.05846%

1967 Ludwig Jazzette Gold Sparkle

That green sparkle wrap can't be original, though. It's too even for a keystone badge era green sparkle -which always chemically faded. some faded worse than others but those drums have NO fade. That's curious.

Also...I have never heard of a keystone badge 20 X 12 coming with any configuration. The fact that these two factors turn up on a drum kit located in The Netherlands is...well...curious. Like I say, since Ludwig is an American company, I would think I might have seen at least one other like it in all my years....but I haven't.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 15 years ago

This one isnt your fav-all-original-museum-piece indeed. The green glass glitter is rewrap as already mentioned in an earlier post. I have bought it on ebay so yes it comes from the us originally.

The kick is a bit of a questionmark myself. The inside is not painted, has the reinforcement rings and "feb-1962" stamped. I too have looked to find more of this size but maybe it started it's life as 20x14 although there are no extra holes.

1 attachments
113.3 kB
*Triplets just sound better*
Posted on 15 years ago

I'm wondering if it could have been a converted marcher or something. Oftentimes, marching bass drums were thinner than the standard drum set sizes. That would be my guess.

I apologize that I didn't see the rewrap information on the other post you referred to. I'll bet they sound great! I would be really curious to hear what a 20 X 12 sounded like in a drum set context. That's actually a very smart size if you ask me.Burger Kin

Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks for your reply O-lugs. I dont want to "steal" this thread but yes they sound great D' Drummer

There's a very nice interaction between the batter and reso head. I use a renaissance as batter to give it a more airy punch.

Anyway, to get back on topic, I always felt there is something magical about Jazzette kits. Pure eyecandy!

*Triplets just sound better*
Posted on 15 years ago

Yes, magical is a good way to describe them. I play in a six piece jazz band and it feels great to kick the band with this little set. It has a lot of punch for a little kit. Especially in the bass drum!

WFL was making the 12x20 size in the 50's and your bass drum shell interior looks like the finish WFL was using at the time. I wonder if you have a leftover shell. You say there is a date stamp in there? Are the numbers big or small. Is the ink red? WFL had a Barrett Deems signature set in the 50's with a 12x20 bass drum, 8x12 tom and a 5x13 porta pak. Nice looking set you have.

-Kurt

"wfl does not stand for world football league!"
Posted on 15 years ago

Here's a couple of better pics of my 1967 Jazzette. This is still the original wrap!

[IMG]http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu221/cymbalhead/ebayjazzettenew023.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu221/cymbalhead/ebayjazzettenew025.jpg[/IMG]

Posted on 15 years ago

Stunningly beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here