Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

1966 Supra Chrome - Not peeling to base, but copper color

S/N - 363689

Date - August 13, 1966

There is minor pitting on the shell, but there are some parts that have flaked chrome that reveal a shiny copper color. It is only happening between two lugs at the 5 to 6 o'clock position in relation to the snare bed. Is this the copper plating stage of the chrome plating process?

Going to start cleaning it up, but want to know about this area and the best way to deal with it. If it gets too bad, I might wrap or paint the drum. There are some really cool ideas out there on what people have done with their Supra's.

I really like the Krylon Hammered Look Copper paint against the chrome lugs. The Supra sound in a sharp and unique look.

Thanks,

Tim

Posted on 12 years ago

Here's a picture of the area in question.

- Tim

Posted on 12 years ago

I have never seen a Ludalloy Supra peel like that...they generally just pit (corrode). My guess is that it is the copper under-plating that is showing.

Your photo clearly shows the benefit of protecting the Supra chrome from the air. Under the lug the chrome is in nearly perfect condition. The chrome on my 1963 Supra is without pitting even though it lived at the beach because, I believe, I always kept a good coat of car wax on it.

Gary G.
1963 Ludwig Gold Sparkle Hollywood Kit
Ludwig Collection: 10 Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Customized Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Vintage Foot Pedals, 1 Single Value Bugle
Posted on 12 years ago

I was also thinking it was the copper. With some Flitz and a little elbow grease, I was able to clean up this area. Some additional chrome flaked off, but now it really blends the two areas. The only way to notice the difference is to hold it at a certain angle and in a certain light.

It must have been a bad plating job. I'll post some after pictures.

Thanks,

Tim

Posted on 12 years ago

The picture looks like the nickel under the chrome. If that is the case it will polish to look almost like chrome, but it will tarnish.

'56-'59 Slingerland BDP "Krupa Deluxe Ensemble"
DW Classics "Buddy Rich"
PDP CX
Various orphan shells and parts nearing critical mass
Posted on 12 years ago

Thanks for the clarification. It makes sense. Check out my other thread with before and after pictures.

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=26400

I will make sure to keep a good coat of wax on the drum to minimize the tarnish.

- Tim

Posted on 12 years ago

Copper plating is the "bridge coat" in the triple-plating process. Nickel goes over the copper and chrome then goes over the nickel.

It's rare to see a Supra flake down to copper, because usually the shell releases the copper plating, and that's how it all starts.

JR Frondelli
www.frondelli.com
www.dbmproaudio.com

Mediocre is the new "good"
Posted on 12 years ago

That cleaned up nicely!

'56-'59 Slingerland BDP "Krupa Deluxe Ensemble"
DW Classics "Buddy Rich"
PDP CX
Various orphan shells and parts nearing critical mass
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here