Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

1966 Ludwig Pioneer question

Hi All, looking for some info on my 1966 Ludwig Pioneer snare.

Although I have had this drum for over 40 years, I just noticed that the finish on the 2 rims is different.

The top rim is clearly chrome, and the bottom, reso rim appears to be Nickle plated. Much duller, a little yellowish in color.

Is this normal? Has one of them been replaced? If so, which would probably be original?

Edited to add that the lugs and all other hardware also appears to be nickel.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kurt

Posted on 5 years ago

Nickel or chrome were both still available in '66. Since the rest of your hardware is nickel, I'd say that the top hoop was replaced at some point. Possibly a mistake at the factory. Original new nickel would have been nice and shiney and not quite so different in appearance than the chrome.

Posted on 5 years ago

I also just noticed that the tension screws are also chrome on the top rim.

This drum uses 2 different lengths of tension screws because the lugs are not centered on the shell.

I can’t imagine that someone would have switched out the rim and tension screws on this relatively newer drum. ( before I acquired it 40 years ago) but, who knows?

Posted on 5 years ago

Ludwig was cranking out so many drums in the mid-60’s that it’s more than likely a mistake at the factory.

Posted on 5 years ago
Action Another action Something else here